Jul 30, 2024
Recently I purchased a Lenovo LOQ 15ARP9 laptop and tried installing a brand new 4TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus SSD in the additional m.2 slot provided. Initially everything was working properly and I was able to partition the drive without any issues but after a few minutes of trying to add files to the drive the SSD stopped detecting and won't show up on windows. I've tried checking to see if the drive appears in the BIOS but I get a black screen whenever I try to enter the BIOS and on occasion when it does boot into BIOS, the drive is not detected. I assumed it must have been a faulty drive, so I replaced the drive with an identical brand new SSD and the same issue occurred once again where it worked initially and randomly stopped detecting.

Things I've tried to do but did not work:
  • Updated BIOS to latest version
  • Updated all drivers such as chipset, graphics, and audio
  • Reinstalled storage controller drivers
  • Switched drive locations on mobo
  • Replaced undetected drive with a brand new drive
  • Try to find drive in device manager
  • Try to find drive in CMD disk list
  • Try to find drive in disk management
Not sure what can be the issue as the laptop works completely fine on the main drive with windows but does not work correctly with an additional drive added. I can boot into BIOS without any issues if the drive is not installed but get black screen on boot when it is installed and can't access BIOS. If it does boot into BIOS with the additional drive installed then it is not detected anywhere.