Question Laptop not starting after cleaning - need help

Oct 3, 2023
Hey,

I need some help. I opened my Dell G15 5520 to clean the fan. But I couldn't get out the screws of the fan. I'm not sure how you say it in english, but when screws are wrecked and the screwdriver can't grip anymore, that's what happened. The screws were new, but very sensitive, guess I didn't put enough pressure on it. (I used all the recommended tools and screwdriver from iFixIt) Tried to open them with superglue and rubber band, didn't work as well. So I decided to just let it be, put the fan cables back in and cleaned it with a dust blower. I didn't want to damage anything and that was everything I could do that doesn't involve more pressure/violence to get out the screws.

Now when I try to turn it back on, I can see the keyboard lights going on and that's it. No fan noise, nothing on the screen. If I listen veeery closely with my ear close to it, the laptop sounds like calling a fax number in really really silent. You can only hear it when you are very close to it after turning it on. I also reopened it, checked every cable I could see, took out the battery, fan cable, RAM, put it back in. But since I can't open the fan screws, I can't dissamble it any further. I also took out the RAM, started the Laptop, turned it off and put it back in, because someone recommended that. But it didn't help.
I fully closed it everytime after I did something, disconnected the battery before I did anything and was wearing an antistatic wristband. It came off during the process and it took me some time to realise. Didn't have any shocks but because it came off I can't know for sure nothing happened. Do you have any ideas? I tried to be super careful and didn't do much.

Here is a picture: https://ibb.co/ByhYV2h

Thanks a lot in advance

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I see you've stripped the heads off the screw to prevent it from being taken off. No way about that other than to remove the screw by force, which I'd advise against.

Try and reseat the ram in the top most slot. You can additionally try and clean the gold contact on the stick of ram with an eraser and then reseat the stick of ram. You could also try and disconnect the battery from the laptop, remove the stick of ram, then press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds to drain any residual power.

Replace the stick of ram then power with an external adapter.

Oct 3, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I see you've stripped the heads off the screw to prevent it from being taken off. No way about that other than to remove the screw by force, which I'd advise against.

Try and reseat the ram in the top most slot. You can additionally try and clean the gold contact on the stick of ram with an eraser and then reseat the stick of ram. You could also try and disconnect the battery from the laptop, remove the stick of ram, then press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds to drain any residual power.

Replace the stick of ram then power with an external adapter.
Thank you. I tried all the steps you recommended but it sadly didn't work. Still nothing on the display, fans not running, nothing really happening besides the keyboard light going on.