Question Laptop not using dedicated GPU after updating BIOS ?

stevedream

Prominent
Jul 4, 2022
HP 15-bw0xx laptop specs:
GPU: integrated: Radeon R7 / Discrete: AMD Radeon (TM) 535DX (yes I know I said in the previous post that it's R7 m340 but that turns out to be what amd detect it as however the vendor drivers and the laptop catalogue says that it's 535DX)
CPU: AMD A-12-9720P
RAM: 12 GB
222GB SSD and external 1tb HDD

Additional note: I use power cable 24/7 without battery

Hello, I have been unable to switch between my iGPU and dGPU during games after the bios update from F.52 to F.55 Graphic settings and AMD Radeon settings only use the integrated for both high performance and power saver, Dxdiag shows that I only have a display tab (I used to have a render tab) and task manager shows the same temperature reading for both GPUs (however msinfo and GPU-Z detect it correctly).

The BIOS update enabled crossfire which I didn't have before and made my dGPU's vram drop from 2GB to 512MB. I tried using DDU and amd cleanup utility and reinstall both from amd and HP, bios rollback but failed due to signature file not able to be read and tried re-flashing the same bios. also after the bios update a driver named complex root express changed to pci bus.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
If you've verified that the BIOS was flashed to the latest version, I'd disconnect from the wall and then remove the rams sticks(and the battery) and press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds.

How did you flash the BIOS without the battery? That's one of the prerequisites for flashing the BIOS and that the battery is charged a little over 80%.

Where did you source the installer for the OS?

stevedream

Prominent
Jul 4, 2022
If you've verified that the BIOS was flashed to the latest version, I'd disconnect from the wall and then remove the rams sticks(and the battery) and press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds.

How did you flash the BIOS without the battery? That's one of the prerequisites for flashing the BIOS and that the battery is charged a little over 80%.

Where did you source the installer for the OS?
Thank you for your reply, HP bios utility allows me to flash if at least I have the charger connected and I got original windows 11 and then used ameliorated: https://ameliorated.io
I would try to remove the modifications and reinstall windows 11

EDIT

One of the weird things is that GPU-Z can't detect any DirectX in the GPU but the vulkan can be detected as some games that use this engine managed to detect my GPU but couldn't initialize it.