Laptop or PC?

HappyHambo

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
I'm planning on going to university in the next 5 years or so. I'm not sure whether or not to get a laptop, something like an Alienware 17, or a full PC. I think a laptop would be useful for taking notes at lectures but a PC would be much better price for performance. What would be ideal is to get a PC now and sell it in 5 years but I imagine that the price will degrade quite a bit in 5 years. Just wanted some opinions. Thanks :)

Solution
PC has the better price/performance value by far than laptop but it is stationary.
Laptop is mobile but the price/performance value is less than PC by far.

According to my experience, during university time, you will need a laptop, which you can carry around for your work, lectures, etc. <---not avoidable
If you are willing to live with 2 systems, get a gaming PC and a cheap portable laptop. <-- this is what I had.
If you wanna to have only one system, you need a powerful gaming laptop...this could be a lot more expensive (depends on your requirements) than the one I had.

However..if you will start college/university first only after 5 years...I would get a gaming PC for now :D
I would not bother such laptop/PC dilemma, which will...

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Other option is a high end tablet/laptop, eg transformer book or surface pro, but we could help a lot more if you said what else you planned to do other than take notes in lectures :p

What sort of games/highest spec requirements do you need?

PC has the better price/performance value by far than laptop but it is stationary.
Laptop is mobile but the price/performance value is less than PC by far.

According to my experience, during university time, you will need a laptop, which you can carry around for your work, lectures, etc. <---not avoidable
If you are willing to live with 2 systems, get a gaming PC and a cheap portable laptop. <-- this is what I had.
If you wanna to have only one system, you need a powerful gaming laptop...this could be a lot more expensive (depends on your requirements) than the one I had.

However..if you will start college/university first only after 5 years...I would get a gaming PC for now :D
I would not bother such laptop/PC dilemma, which will come 5 years in the future.

Solution

HappyHambo

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

Thanks for you're detailed answer. I will probably get a good Gaming PC just now and then when it gets closer to the time get a cheapish laptop. I'm thinking about getting the cheapest 13" MacBook.