[SOLVED] Laptop overheating after re-applying thermal paste.

Rannjodh

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
Hello guys, I have a Dell Inspiron 7560 (i7-7500u / 940mx) and it's around 5 years old. I was experiencing some GPU thermal throttling while playing some games, so I thought to get the thermal paste changed, hoping it will solve the problem. I got it changed from a nearby repair shop, and he replaced it with a white looking paste. I asked him what kind it is, to which he replied with a vague answer (he said it has silicon and is good). In hindsight, this was a mistake, I should have just walked out, but I can't change the past now. I told him to go forward & replace thermal paste on both CPU & GPU.

Anyway, today while playing Valorant, I noticed CPU temps reaching 100°C at some points. It was very inconsistent, jumping from 99°C to 95°C in a second, but mostly it hovered around 95-98°C. I was using MSI Afterburner and SpeedFan to note these temps. Also, I used to get around 60fps but today I only got around 34-38fps. I plan to check the temps for a few more days and then go back to him, but what do you think I should do? That guy didn't have any other thermal paste, so I guess my money is waste now and I'll have to look somewhere else?

Also, I can't undervolt my CPU as Dell has locked it from bios. Any help is appreciated, thanks alot.

Solution
that's not a terrible application actually.
when they were fit together the paste would've been spread rather evenly across both surfaces but when pulling it apart it separates so you see some portions with no paste left on them.

you should definitely reapply now that you separated them.
the baked on "film" of paste will not work efficiently now that it has been pulled apart.
if it is functioning at safe temperatures now make sure you keep a close eye on them into the future.
that's not a terrible application actually.
when they were fit together the paste would've been spread rather evenly across both surfaces but when pulling it apart it separates so you see some portions with no paste left on them.

you should definitely reapply now that you separated them.
the baked on "film" of paste will not work efficiently now that it has been pulled apart.
if it is functioning at safe temperatures now make sure you keep a close eye on them into the future.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS