Question Laptop performance problems when boot with closed lid? [Solved]

Aug 29, 2023
Hello everyone,
I am using a MSI Katana GF66 laptop with an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050.
For some time now, I am investigating about some problems I'm having with this laptop.
Sometimes, I don't know why, I boot my PC and I manage to get insane performance in games (e.g. it even got 100fps on Forza Horizon 5).
Still, most of the times, I don't get this performance (e.g. I usually run FH5 at 50-60fps).
At first I thought it was a overheating problem, but I solved that by activating the cooler boost option in the MSI Center software and nothing seems to change.
Does anyone have some suggestions or advice for me?

More info:
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
Installed RAM 16,0 GB (15,7 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎25/‎06/‎2023
OS build 22621.2134
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22659.1000.0

Thanks

Edit: solved by updating the BIOS, check
this post

Last edited:
Hey there,

Well it's very possible your CPU is throttling. You can test this by running a Cinebench R23 bench, and run HWInfo along side it and see what clocks your CPU is hitting. Your CPu should hit 4.2ghz all core during the test. If it's being cooled properly it may stay at 4.2, if the cooling isn't sufficient, then the clocks will drop. This might apply to your gaming too.

All system drivers up to date? Bios up to date? Check MSI's website for newer versions.

Reactions: Alexxino
Aug 29, 2023
Hi @Roland Of Gilead and thanks for answering ❤️.

I tried what you told me and I think it might be the problem.
I installed Cinebench R23 and HWInfo and ran them at the same time (with the fan speed set to cooler boost in the MSI Center) and this are the results. From the moment I started the bench, the clocks went from ≃4.4ghz to ≃3.5-3.6ghz.

performance.png

Never actually done this, so I may not be right about it. What do you think?

Hey,

No worries glad to help :)

Okay it appears the CPU is throttling. Now we have to figure out why. Please install Throttlestop. This software will allow us to run it's inbuilt benchmark, and will tell us what the issue is. When running the bench you musty also open the 'limit reasons'. When the test is running, you may see yellow and red lights. Red ones are the ones to look out for. They are typically called: PL1, or PL2, or EDP other etc.

Let us know how that goes.

Have you given the laptop a really good clean recently, or since purchase?

Reactions: Alexxino
Aug 29, 2023
Hey @Roland Of Gilead

Sorry for late response but these days I tried some of the things you suggested me to do it and I finally found the real problem!

The problem was a BIOS update I forgot to do (and I don't know how lol), the update "E1582IMS.314", released on date 2023/3/31.

It fixed a bug that lead to low performance when powering on the system with closing lid (which I did every day, since I have a dual monitor setup).
It seems that the occasions where I had "extreme performance" were just the normality, when I forgot the lid open during the boot.

Now all of the problems above mentioned are solved and my pc is absolutely better than ever!

I really don't know how I forgot something as important as updating my BIOS and I really don't know how to thank you for your help and kindness.

Hope you the best.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Hey @Roland Of Gilead

Sorry for late response but these days I tried some of the things you suggested me to do it and I finally found the real problem!

The problem was a BIOS update I forgot to do (and I don't know how lol), the update "E1582IMS.314", released on date 2023/3/31.

It fixed a bug that lead to low performance when powering on the system with closing lid (which I did every day, since I have a dual monitor setup).
It seems that the occasions where I had "extreme performance" were just the normality, when I forgot the lid open during the boot.

Now all of the problems above mentioned are solved and my pc is absolutely better than ever!

I really don't know how I forgot something as important as updating my BIOS and I really don't know how to thank you for your help and kindness.

Hope you the best.
Ah, brilliant. Glad you got it sorted :)

We all do it. I've often forgotten something Ive changed in my system, which bricks it. I typically wake up at 3 in the morning with the solution. :ROFLMAO:

Good luck and happy gaming :)