[SOLVED] Laptop Powers On, but no power to screen, and no keyboard or USB mouse function ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2023
I have a new MainGear Vector Pro laptop. It's worked fine as recently as last night. It's the factory build with one exception: I swapped out the power cable connecting the AC power adapter to the wall when I moved from the U.S. to Europe (needed a different plug for the wall outlet).

When I turn on my laptop, there is a low whirring sound as it powers up. The power LED illuminates and stays solid. The battery LED is dark. Some colored LEDs illuminate along the front edge of the laptop case, but nothing else comes one: nothing on the screen, no power to the mouse (attached via USB cable), and the keyboard does not illuminate or function. This behavior occurs both when power is connected and disconnected. Additionally, the laptop seems to power cycle. Even after I power it off, it'll "spin up," then rest, and then shut down.

This is all very weird, because everything worked perfectly when I used the laptop last night. As per the usual, I left the laptop powered on and closed the lid when I finished using it.

I've tried different wall outlets, detaching and reattaching power cables, and swapping back to the original AC power cable. No joy.

Any help is appreciated!

Here are the specs of my MainGear Vector Pro :
  • AMD Ryzen 6000 series - Intel12th Gen Core i9
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti
  • 32GB DDR5 4800 MHz
  • 230W (19.5V/11.8A), 3-pin AC adapter
  • Li- polymer Battery, SW Gas Gauge IC, soft pack, 6 cells (3S2P 8200mAh) 93.48Wh

Reactions: usamp4you
Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

While the laptop is disconnected from the wall, if it's possible, disassemble the laptop, taking the underside of said laptop off. Disconnect the battery from the motherboard, remove the memory, press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds, then power the laptop with the adapter(not the battery), if the laptop fires up with a hitch then power down, disconnect from the wall and then reconnect the battery and try powering up with only the battery.

For the sake of relevance, can you include a link to the cable that you're speaking of?

Lutfij

Titan

While the laptop is disconnected from the wall, if it's possible, disassemble the laptop, taking the underside of said laptop off. Disconnect the battery from the motherboard, remove the memory, press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds, then power the laptop with the adapter(not the battery), if the laptop fires up with a hitch then power down, disconnect from the wall and then reconnect the battery and try powering up with only the battery.

For the sake of relevance, can you include a link to the cable that you're speaking of?

Solution
Mar 12, 2023
Thanks for the warm welcome, and thank you for the instructions, I'll give that a shot.

I was afraid disassembly would be required. I didn't have much room for belongings when I moved, so my computer toolkit didn't make the journey. I'll need to find and buy one, unless I can find a small screwdriver around this apartment somewhere.

Here is a link to the AC power cable I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002J1KTE

Mar 12, 2023
I did the following, but had no success:

1. Disconnected the battery from the motherboard.
  2. Removed the RAM modules.
  3. Pressed the power button and held it down for 30 seconds.
  4. Connected the laptop to AC power and turned on the laptop.

The CPU fan spun up for a few seconds, and the LEDs along the front edge of the laptop lit up, and then nothing else happened.

Mar 12, 2023

Hi, Lutfij. I did the things you suggested and had no luck, then went and washed some clothes, had lunch, and made the bed, and now I've plugged the laptop into the AC power and it's working again. I don't know what dark powers you have, but I am grateful for them.

Any chance you could explain to me what might have gone wrong so I know how to avoid the problem/address it in the future? And is this something I should try to get handled by the seller as a warranty issue?

Many thanks again for your kind help!

Lutfij

Titan
Any chance you could explain to me what might have gone wrong so I know how to avoid the problem/address it in the future?
You might be having a grounding issue if you had to do what I suggested. Essentially what you did was discharge the laptop off of any residual power or even static.

when you say "remove the memory," you mean the RAM, correct?
Yes, memory = ram stick/sticks. You can't remove video memory :) I forgot to add, to reseat the rams in their slots and power up with the adapter. You can't get POST without the ram on a laptop. You could also look into using an eraser to wipe the gold contacts of the ram sticks, wipe clean off of any eraser debris and then reseat. If you do see the contacts being black or dark(carbon deposits on the contacts) but removed when using an eraser, then that would indicate that you're in a dusty environment with lack of grounding at your wall outlet or your crib.

And is this something I should try to get handled by the seller as a warranty issue?
I would check and see if the laptop has any BIOS updates but it could also be the lack of a grounding pin on the wall outlet...or that you're in a highly static(abode with static electricity) environment. Often times people blame the hardware but most times it's not the hardware's fault, it's either the environment or even user error that's to blame.

I don't know what dark powers you have, but I am grateful for them.
I'm just here to help, don't know Darth Vader nor am I related to that guy. Don't know if I have any Jedi forces in me either.

+ Thank you for awarding me the Best Answer and offering closure to this thread. I'm sure the community can benefit from your predicament.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2023

Titan!!!

I'm also a newcomer to this forum and it's funny because the issue Lutfij had is exactly what I typed into Google and it led me here. I immediately followed your instructions to the T and when I turned it on again with the battery only, it booted right up after a few seconds of the black screen. You are a life saver. Thank you to Lutfij for posting this and thank you for the immediate resolution. This is my second gaming laptop I've owned and my first time having the Vector Gear Pro. From the specs that Lutfij quoted, I have the exact same laptop and have had it since the end of December. This is the first time I've ever had this issue.

Stay Blessed!

[SOLVED]

Reactions: Lutfij
Status
Not open for further replies.