Question Laptop reboots randomly, no warning

Jul 11, 2024
Hi,

So this is kind of an odd one. I have an MSI laptop (Crosshair 17 BGUSZ) that is reboots without warning, at random times, it can be months without sudden reboots or multiple can happen on the span of a week, however I noticed that it happens almost instantly when using Linux distros, so sometimes it's not random? I don't know, it's so weird and I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out what happens.

I have replaced the default 16gb RAM sticks (2x8) for 32gb ones (2x16), and I have also added a new SSD on the second slot. I don't have the original RAM sticks just in case you ask.

This wasn't happening since the beginning, I've had this computer for two years and it only started happening a year ago, out of nowhere.

I have tried:
  • Reinstalling Windows, trying Linux (what I said above)
  • Updating drivers of all kinds
  • Boot in safe mode
  • Replacing the battery with a brand new one
  • More cooling - the laptop tends to overheat because, well, it's a gaming laptop. The reboots are less likely to happen when the laptop is well cooled but it happens anytime. I have monitored temperatures, reboots have happened on the lowest temps possible.
  • Doing a RAM test - left memtest86 running for a day and a half, zero errors (it even rebooted suddenly while on a test the first time I tried!! what??)
  • Checking for hard drive errors - chkdsk multiple times, no chance.
  • opening the laptop to see if there's any foreign object or anything that is causing this - everything seemed normal, checked all connections, all fans work properly
  • Have it checked at tech support - MSI warrant is void so no official support, I've brought it in to two different shops and they just reinstalled windows and crap even though I specifically told them what to look out for.
PC leaves no kernel dumps after reboots since they're not technically a BSOD, it just shuts down suddenly and then reboots, automatically after 1 or 2 seconds. So I can't analyze them. Only trace left behind is a vague Kernel Power error on the Event Viewer on Windows, but that could be anything.

Only thing that I can imagine is a motherboard failure of some kind but I'd really like to rule everything out before having to replace it... I don't even know how I would do that. If you could also help me on that I'd be incredibly grateful.

Thank you

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I have an MSI laptop (Crosshair 17 BGUSZ)
You sure about the SKU? I come across this;
https://www.msi.com/Laptop/Crosshair-17-B12UX/support?sub_product=Crosshair-17-B12UGSZ
with a B12UGSZ

If so, are you on the latest BIOS version?
I have replaced the default 16gb RAM sticks (2x8) for 32gb ones (2x16)
Got a link to the ram kit used?

Reinstalling Windows
Where did you source the installer for the OS?