[SOLVED] Laptop Restarts while gaming! No overheat issue.

Incinerater3

Prominent
Feb 16, 2021
Hey! So recently my laptop has been restarting within 15-20 min of me playing game. So i did a lot of research and the basic troubleshoot that could be done.

- I replaced the thermal paste with thermal grizzly kryonaut

- Both fans new and internal cleaning.

-Did intel burn and prime94 test for atleast 30 min each, multiple times and temp didn’t exceed 80°. (And never restarted)

- So i tried GPU benchmark and it went smooth aswell. Tried 3Dmark multiple times. Never restarted and temp didn’t exceed 75°.

-I got my PSU checked with a local vendor and the readings on multimeter was 1.95V-1.97V. Even tried new charger still nothing changed.

My laptop specs are
Intel i7 7700HQ -2.8GHz turbo upto 3.8GHz
Nvdia 1050ti 4GB
16 GB ram (i upgraded with one stick it was 8 stock)
Laptop model-dell inspiron 15 7567.

The only thing i am sus about is that my new RAM that i got 2 years ago. The vendor said that it was not a good quality one. And it took him few times to slot it back in and out to finally the window recognizing the 16 GB as total ram.

Solution
My battery was basically on the verge of death when i got it removed. And it’s basically working on direct charger for quite some time.

also interesting thing i noticed if i try to lower the speed of my cpu it works fine but it has to be way lower. I’ve been running it around 1.75-1.9 GHz with gpu locked at aswell at 1 volt and 1580Mhz. It runs very low end games fine without restart but not games which are fairly better like destiny 2, rainbow six and Sea of theives. I’m not sure if this helps my case or makes it worse. But thank you for your feedback
I would say the battery (or lack of) is most likely the issue then. When the power required peaks over what the power supply can provide it cannot take additional power from the...
Hey there,

Judging by your post, you've been sorting out some heat issues!? Are you undervolting by chance?

In terms of the memory. You can test with memtest86+ outside of windows. Stick it on a USB key, and test your ram for 4 passes. If it fails you know it's the ram. On a side note, if you have to ram slots, you should consider 2 x 8gbs of ram, as opposed to 1 x 16gb. You are potentially losing out on dual channel mode, which can give a really good boost (sometimes as much as 15-20% task dependent).

If you are undervolting, then it's possibly that that's causing restarts. If it's not exactly right, you can get random crashes like that.

Incinerater3

Prominent
Feb 16, 2021
Hey there,

Judging by your post, you've been sorting out some heat issues!? Are you undervolting by chance?

In terms of the memory. You can test with memtest86+ outside of windows. Stick it on a USB key, and test your ram for 4 passes. If it fails you know it's the ram. On a side note, if you have to ram slots, you should consider 2 x 8gbs of ram, as opposed to 1 x 16gb. You are potentially losing out on dual channel mode, which can give a really good boost (sometimes as much as 15-20% task dependent).

If you are undervolting, then it's possibly that that's causing restarts. If it's not exactly right, you can get random crashes like that.

Okay thanks for your help. okay so i did the memtest and it passed all 4 test(it takes ages to finish). Also yes i am using 2x8 Gb ram sticks. i am not sure if i am right but in new update of windows, i don't think you can undervolt CPU. i tried checking XTU and everything was greyed out in there and even tried throttlestop same thing can't change anything.

Incinerater3

Prominent
Feb 16, 2021
How healthy is the battery? Even when plugged in a laptop may need to use the battery under heavy load spikes that exceed what the power supply can deliver.
My battery was basically on the verge of death when i got it removed. And it’s basically working on direct charger for quite some time.

also interesting thing i noticed if i try to lower the speed of my cpu it works fine but it has to be way lower. I’ve been running it around 1.75-1.9 GHz with gpu locked at aswell at 1 volt and 1580Mhz. It runs very low end games fine without restart but not games which are fairly better like destiny 2, rainbow six and Sea of theives. I’m not sure if this helps my case or makes it worse. But thank you for your feedback

I would say the battery (or lack of) is most likely the issue then. When the power required peaks over what the power supply can provide it cannot take additional power from the battery. Insufficient power could then cause the reboot.

Solution