[SOLVED] laptop RTX 2070 stuck at 300mhz only when playing games

Jan 24, 2022
i got this laptop ( ROG Strix G512LW_G512LW ) around a year ago, it worked fine until 1-2 months ago when it started getting laggier and laggier until now when I checked why was it so laggy (with a built-in tracker) and the gpu was running at 300 mhz (I was playing cs go when I checked) even if the temp was ~95c and the usage was ~100%. then I left the game and the frequency jumped to 1000-1200 mhz, then I searched for a fix on the internet and tried updating the drivers, tried uninstalling any overclocker/ gpu checker (i uninstalled msi afterburner) and i checked the battery saving mode in the nvidia control panel but it was set to maximum performance and the quality settings too. i finally ran a benchmark (this is a gaming laptop btw) and here are the results https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/71168361? much worse than a year ago https://www.3dmark.com/spy/19141537 (the gpu was overclocking itself). then i finally came here to ask you guys for help because i don't know whats happening and i really need a fix

Last edited:
Solution
I can only go by what i see and what you say, but when you put up two reports

average clock speed 1527MHz at 77*c from a year ago
and
average clock speed 312MHz at 92*c now

I would recommend taking the back off the laptop, cleaning the fan, heatsink, and re past the GPU.
Jan 24, 2022
average temp was 92*c its overheating and thermal throttling. Take the laptop apart and clean the dust out of it, wouldnt hurt to re past the GPU and if its like most laptops that means your going to re past the CPU while you're at it.
I forgot to mention but I did clean the laptop fans on the top (I don't have a pressure air can) and I'm pretty sure it would reach 90c even when I first got it
edit: oh nvm I would reach ~85c max (cleaned it with nail polish too)

Last edited:
I can only go by what i see and what you say, but when you put up two reports

average clock speed 1527MHz at 77*c from a year ago
and
average clock speed 312MHz at 92*c now

I would recommend taking the back off the laptop, cleaning the fan, heatsink, and re past the GPU.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS