Question Laptop screen is so dim can hardly see any images

Jun 17, 2022
I have an Asus laptop, it's screen use to get very dim (can hardly see any images) time to time but when I adjust the screen angle or squeezed the plastic at the edge of the screen it used to go back to normal brightness, but couples of weeks ago, it went dim as usual, but did not come back to normal brightness with adjusting angle or squeezing the edges. I replaced it with HD screen which is of poor quality. The original screen was FHD (15.6" (16:9) LED-backlit FHD (1920x1080) 60Hz Anti-Glare Panel with 45% NTSC).

Any way to repair my original screen? Please help! Replacing parts are very expensive these days too due to high inflation and near bankruptcy situation in my country.

Note this is not an OS issue like adaptive brightness, I can confirm that this is a hardware issue.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"but when I adjust the screen angle or squeezed the plastic at the edge of the screen it used to go back to normal brightness, "

Likely a loose or possibly a partially broken connection. Squeezing things restored full connectivity but only temporarily.

Now the problem has gotten worse and squeezing is no longer sufficient.

The original screen may or may not be repairable. The actual problem needs to be identified and then you need the required parts and skills (soldering perhaps) to make the fix.

Unfortunately, you may need to replace the screen. Try to find another Asus laptop that had other problems and salvage/re-use the screen from that laptop.

Another option is to forego the laptop's screen and just use an external monitor. Not ideal by any means but at least you could use the laptop. And monitors may be more readily available and perhaps less expensive.

Jun 17, 2022
Another option is to forego the laptop's screen and just use an external monitor. Not ideal by any means but at least you could use the laptop. And monitors may be more readily available and perhaps less expensive.

Thanks for reply!

I am already using an external FHD monitor, with laptop screen replaced with HD display my screen real state is reduced and moving windows between screens have significant jumps due to different resolutions

Do you know any good videos that show laptop display repair? I was not able to find any video addressing my kind of problem (h/w).

Ralston18

Titan
Which model Asus laptop?

Use the model information to find video's specific to your model or perhaps similar models. "Similar" meaning the laptops are identical except for differences in disk capacity, RAM, etc.

However, that is not at all a certainty....

The model information may help you find a maintenance manual but again there is no certainty per se that the manual fully applies. Many manuals have all sorts of errors and/or can be out of date.

Just find and watch as many video's as you can. The videos can be good, bad, or worse..... And completely wrong - just rush jobs to get website hits.

Replacing the screen is doable in some cases. Unfortunately many things are not made to be repaired or repaired easily. And repair efforts/attempts can make things worse.

All too easy to break connectors, pull wires out, break some flimsy plastic thing, strip a screw or hole. A great deal of care and caution is needed.

Since you have already replaced the HD screen once, you now have some idea of what needs to be done and what to expect if you try again.

Keep that in mind as you search for and view videos. Watch and watch again pausing when necessary to observe details, connections, components etc.

If you are getting the replacement screen from another laptop then likewise be very careful during the disassembly process.

MrLitschel

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
When the laptop screen slowly becomes dim and stays that way, it is a common mistake to automatically assume that you need a new monitor. It most likely needs a new backlight display inverter board. (it is a lot cheaper than a new screen). Any computer shop that repairs laptops should know this already, however dishonest repairmen tend to tell customers that the screen needs to be replaced.

They will charge you for a new screen, but only replace the invertor board. If you are a little handy,...