[SOLVED] Laptop screen random color squares

Feb 2, 2022
Hello, my laptop started acting weird after the windows 10 21H2 update with some amd drivers that I had installed. Firstly I was playing a game and I closed it to (alt f4 more specifically) to restart the laptop, when it opened my refresh rate was at 1 hz and couldn't change it nor the resolution. I had noticed before restarting it that when I tried to open the amd drivers, it said something about drivers not being compatible. So after seeing the 1 hz rate and being unable to change resolution I tried uninstalling the amd drivers and reinstalling them. At first I tried downloading the autodetect to repair but it did not work as it said it was unable to reach some files during installation. Then I tried removing them to reinstall them afterwards but when doing so the laptop crashed and it could not open as the windows got corrupted and it restarted over and over again. I restored to a backup windows had created itself and the monitor problem was still there. So I had no other choice other than reinstalling windows to get a clean system. I did so and reinstalled the drivers as well. They did say again that they were not compatible, but I didn't give much notice. I left the laptop open all night to reinstall some apps and the other day I played a game, but noticed when it launched there were a few squares with random colors, but they went away after alt-tabbing. Later I restarted the laptop and it started repairing again like the previous day, no reason this time, and I had to restore to a previous version again. I now have removed all the amd drivers and I'm was hoping that the problem would be fixed but when I opened a game there were the squares again but a lot of them but still went away with alt-tab. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this or what caused all this? I do have a few nvidia drivers still installed for the GPU (2060 laptop model).

P.S. I had almost spilled water on the laptop the day before but luckily it only got on the monitor, is there a possibility that this accident caused all of this or is this just a driver problem?

P.P.S. Sorry for the long story, I wanted to make sure that every detail was there.

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your laptop? An SKU will help us two fold. BIOS version for said laptop at the time of writing? Did you recreate your bootable USB installer prior to reinstalling the OS?

When in BIOS, are you able to see any pixelation/artifacting? If not, then the drivers were what went haywire. Go into Safe Mode, use DDU and wipe all GPU drivers off your laptop. Connect to the www and source the latest GPU drivers from Nvidia's support site, then manually install said driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.
Feb 2, 2022
Hello, my laptop sarted acting weird with some drivres and long story short I had to reinstall windows to fix it but after doing so there are these weird colored pixels when i play a game, but they go away with alt-tabbing. Does anyone know the reason behind this? This started happening after the windows 10 21H2.
Here's a picture of how it looks
View: https://imgur.com/a/789lINL

my specs are : Geforce 2060 (laptop edition), Ryzen r9 4900H , 16 GB ram, Samsung Evo Plus1TB

Lutfij

Titan

Make and model of your laptop? An SKU will help us two fold. BIOS version for said laptop at the time of writing? Did you recreate your bootable USB installer prior to reinstalling the OS?

When in BIOS, are you able to see any pixelation/artifacting? If not, then the drivers were what went haywire. Go into Safe Mode, use DDU and wipe all GPU drivers off your laptop. Connect to the www and source the latest GPU drivers from Nvidia's support site, then manually install said driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Solution
Feb 2, 2022

Sorry for the late reply,
Pixelation is random and doesn't always happen even when playing the before mentioned game and I haven't noticed it in the bios. I'll try using safe mode as you suggested and maybe installing windows in a different driver if this doesn't fix it. Also my laptop is an ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA506IV with the 316 bios (latest) and the serial number is L6NRCX031772257.

Edit: Sometimes when restarting, windows will start repairing themselves and won't stop until I force shut down and boot again. Booting after shutting down is normal and doesn't seem to have any problems and I believe this happens when the pixelation problem occurs but not too sure on that one.

Feb 2, 2022

After using the DDU the game didn't stop with the pixelation but windows haven't started repairing on their own after restarting so I guess that's one problem down. I imagine the problem with the game may have to do with itself and may be removed in a recent update but will keep updating if I find a solution to it or if another problem occurs, but for now thanks for the help.