Question laptop shows battery is 100% charged but dies when unplugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattkatt

Prominent
Dec 13, 2020
I know this question has been asked many times, but I have not seen anyone describe it the way it happened to me. I bought an Asus Zephyrus GX701GWR a couple months ago and has been working perfectly until now. Just a couple of days ago I ran the laptop on battery for about 4 hours before needing to charge it again. However today, although the battery is shows as being 100% charged, when I unplug the laptop it shuts off and I can't turn it back on unless I plug it in. The warranty has expired so I can't send it in. You guys have any suggestions? I'm pretty sure the problem is not the battery since it worked just fine a few days ago. I know batteries degrade, but not over-night.

DH1997

Honorable
Sep 30, 2015
Hey Mattkatt,

Have you tried to reseat your battery yet? There is a chance that if you reseat the battery and boot it up with the power adapter plugged that it may work again. I would recommend calibrating the battery as well and leaving it on charge for about 30 minutes. After that, shut down and try to boot with the adapter unplugged.

But before you do that, you definitely lost the warranty from your retailer, but perhaps it may be different with the manufacturer itself. I'm not to familiar with ASUS, but I do know that MSI for example would allow you to upgrade/replace/clean certain hardware and retaining your right to repair.

Mattkatt

Prominent
Dec 13, 2020
Thanks for your reply! I've contacted Asus and searched the internet. Repasting my processors did void the warranty at Asus too. I have already tried what you mentioned, even went as far as to open the laptop and fully reseat the battery connectors (since it is an internal battery, not detachable). No matter what I do the laptop shuts off when I unplug the AC adapter. I tried reinstalling the battery drivers as well with no success.

DH1997

Honorable
Sep 30, 2015
That's unfortunate to hear, I can think of only 3 things that might yet solve your problem.

1. Reinstalling the driver.
  2. A clean install of Windows. The issue may have been caused by an update. Perhaps either the "fresh start" or repair feature may also resolve the issue.
  3. Updating your BIOS.

Hopefully one of the solutions above will prove useful to you.

Mattkatt

Prominent
Dec 13, 2020
Unfortunately I tried everything you mentioned. I reinstalled the drivers, Windows, and updated the bios to the latest version. Its strange to see a 3000 dollar laptop stop working on battery over night. Ill seek help on other forums as well I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.