Question Laptop stuck in windows update loop, cant reformat SSD at all

Aug 16, 2020
So I got a HP Notebook - 17-x109cy a week ago from a family member for free. I bought a 256gb Silicon Power SSD and 8gb Gskill ripjaws 2133 ram to turn it into a good little laptop for some lighter gaming and work on the go. I swapped drives, installed windows and some other programs. I then shut down the computer,, but windows update needed to do some stuff, so left it at that, closed the laptop and let it work. I come back a couple hours later and it says its at 7% updating, which was weird. Then it restarted, 7% updating, restarted, and on and on. I took the drive out, stuck it in my computer to just try to wipe it and get a fresh newer windows version, but I couldn't do anything to it. it was recognized, but disk management, AOEMI,EaseUS couldn't delete partitions or format it. I got the SP toolbox from their website and it couldn't even see the drive. I just decided screw it, and got DBAN to nuke the drive, but DBAN kept giving me a non fatal error at the end. Command prompt with diskpart, everything either said it cant do anything, or said it formatted it, but nothing happened to it. Literally nothing I do to the SSD can change anything on it. I cant even install another windows onto the disk, and the medial installation tool cant diagnose it, reset it or anything. I just want to know if there is anything I can do, don't really want to buy another SSD, and the hard drive that came with it is way too slow to use. Update, event tried Lubuntu, that also cant make a dent in it, but I don't really know anything about other OS's, so I might've not done it right.

Update, event tried Lubuntu, that also cant make a dent in it, but I don't really know anything about other OS's, so I might've not done it right.

Another update, used diskpart to try and clear readonly, but it just says "DiskPart failed to clear disk attributes"

Aug 16, 2020
so if its a new SSD, you can always RMA it. Clearly its not liking you trying to use it in another device

I wonder if its locked. This is from SIlicon Power but I don't think it should apply to your ssd - https://www.silicon-power.com/web/download-HDDlock

you might be best contacting them and see if its maybe locked access to only the machine it was installed in.
Yeah, it wasn't having anything to do with my computer, but putting it back into the laptop, its the same. I cant touch anything on it. Tried literally everything i can find, it seems like the ssd could just have a corrupted area, but since it wont even let me scan it through like chkdsk in command prompt, I dont see any option there.

TRENDING THREADS