Question Laptop to home theater / soundbar via hdmi not working

sklappen12

Honorable
Dec 18, 2017
Hi community!
I'm having an issue with getting my Lenovo Legion Pro 5 (with RTX 3070 ti) to pass sound to either my Sony Blu-ray home theater (with arc) or to my new Samsung Q990C soundbar. When plugged to my HT my laptop simply does not recognize the device and I can only plug it to the HDMI ARC port (only one the HT has).
I tried with my soundbar and same issue with the ARC port, but if I plug it to one of the other HDMIs (no ARC) my laptop recognizes it immediately as something (not the name of the soundbar) but does not play any sound. I tried some options in the internet, but no luck so far. (Updated drivers, Audio Services, restart, and the usual stuff).
If anyone has had this same issue, please let me know
Thank you very much!
Cheers

sklappen12

Honorable
Dec 18, 2017
https://boomspeaker.com/5-1-sound-from-pc-hdmi/#:~:text=the Nvidia drivers detect that the TV only supports stereo even if you connected the TV to an external 5.1 surround sound system

update the BIOS if available

set HDMI to default audio output
Hi, thanks for your reply. I checked and my BIOS is up to date. With the soundbar I did set it to default, but even when it recognizes it, no sound comes out. With the home theater, I don't get the chance to set the HDMI as default, because it won't even recognize the system...