[SOLVED] Laptop will not boot into Windows or WinRE after BIOS update

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmackni

Reputable
May 27, 2016
As the title suggests, my laptop will not boot into Windows. Period. This is true no matter how I try to force the computer into a boot or into WinRE.

I have a Dell Precision 7510 from 2015, NVidia Quadro M2000M GPU, and an M.2 1TB hard drive,with Windows 10.

The back story is that a few months ago, I needed to get into my laptop for some "repairs." This constituted me getting down the the CPU and dedicated GPU to clean off the baked thermal paste (from a bookbag overheating incident a while ago, after which the fans ran more frenquently and harder) and then reapplied before closing it backup. This may or may not be related, but is the only time before last night that I messed with the hardware or software, or ran a graphics intensive program other than right afterwards to test the fan levels (which were much improved).

Then last night, I ran a game I haven't played in a while on the computer and it was very choppy. I investigated and found out my GPU was not functioning, with the event message "Device install requested." I looked in Device Manager, it had a yellow warning triangle attached to the icon and in the properties, General tab, the status read along the lines that Windows stopped this device because it was not working properly (unable to read off the actual message now). All the events leading to that status were dated around the time I reapplied the thermal paste, but this is the only thing that I had done, and did not mess with the GPU's connection in any way, so the issue should have been software related.

I attempted all manner of fixes to get the GPU to register as working properly, both with my own knowledge and every "working" solution online, and finally resorted to updating my BIOS as a last resort, supposing that it could actually be its age that was mismatching with a recent update for the GPU driver as a couple posts suggested. After following all proper procedures and updating the BIOS from the manufacturer's website using my computer's service tag to find the right page of downloads, I successfully updated the BIOS, and upon the automatic restart that followed, it got stuck on the Dell logo screen with the spinning wheel. After letting it sit for several hours in case it just had to sort itself out, I finally began looking into how to fix this issue online.

I have tried all of the following, to no avail, and am now at my wits end trying to get it to work:
  1. Powering on/off 3 times to get windows to boot into WinRE automatically. This produces the result of the words "Preparing Automatic Repair" accompanying the everlasting spinning wheel on the logo screen, usually resulting in an eventual restart without pulling up WinRE.
  2. Draining any residual power within the system, then restarting. Produced no significant results, even after multiple attempts.
  3. Creating a recovery copy of Windows on a USB drive that was made bootable, pressed F12 until the BIOS options came up, and selected the drive as the boot option to manually begin WinRE. Produced identical results to attempt #1.
  4. Ran preboot diagnostics through the same F12 menu, with nothing producing a warning or error other than the battery health (which I knew about and thus keep it plugged).

For all intents and purposes, it appears as though Windows is corrupted or otherwise needs some kind of repairs, but as I'm unable to even get into WinRE to start that process, I am led to believe that it is the BIOS instead. My next step I planned on doing was to look into rolling back the BIOS update, but as my most recent attempt at altering the BIOS has not gone optimally so far, I wanted to post here first to see if I could get any insight from the community if there was something I missed. Feel free to double check if I've done one step or another (beyond reverting the BIOS), but chances are if there's an existing post or YouTube video covering it, I've attempted it. I also do not have another computer currently able to take the hard drive and test it in another machine to make sure it's not the issue somehow.

I would appreciate any and all insight into this, and will be extremely grateful to anyone who is able to help me out of my predicament.

Solution
I ended up downloading the version of the BIOS I had before (managed to remember the version from glancing at it before), and installed it through flash. Computer is now back to the original issue of the dedicated GPU not working, which after extensive troubleshooting, I have determined the hardware to be faulty/dead now and in need of replacement. Unless I am mistaken, I am unable to test the hardware in another machine as it is a mobile GPU/slot, and my Precision is the only one I am able to test with.

pmackni

Reputable
May 27, 2016
I ended up downloading the version of the BIOS I had before (managed to remember the version from glancing at it before), and installed it through flash. Computer is now back to the original issue of the dedicated GPU not working, which after extensive troubleshooting, I have determined the hardware to be faulty/dead now and in need of replacement. Unless I am mistaken, I am unable to test the hardware in another machine as it is a mobile GPU/slot, and my Precision is the only one I am able to test with.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.