Question Laptop with intel 4400 integrated graphics freezing on any 3d game.

Dec 8, 2020
When every I play a simple or beefy 3d game such as Roblox my laptop freezes up after about 10 seconds and repeats the current sound and the only way I can revert back to normal is to do a hard reboot (ANNOYING). I attempted to fix my issue many times (Tried updating drivers, tried random programs, etc.) and found out that disabling the integrated graphics driver, I am able to play games with out my laptop crashing but it is so choppy that it is unplayable. Pls help, I've tried looking at so many things and haven't found a solution yet. Pls help.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020
When every I play a simple or beefy 3d game such as Roblox my laptop freezes up and repeats the current sound and the only way I can revert back to normal is to do a hard reboot (ANNOYING). I attempted to fix my issue many times (Tried updating drivers, tried random programs, etc.) and found out that disabling the integrated graphics driver, I am able to play games with out my laptop crashing but it is so choppy that it is unplayable. Pls help, I've tried looking at so many things and haven't found a solution yet. Pls help.

what laptop?
what sound?
How old is laptop?
Should help diagnose it.

Dec 8, 2020
what laptop?
what sound?
How old is laptop?
Should help diagnose it.
my laptop is HP elitebook folio 1040 g1
the sound is the last played noise but repeating over and over, so if its a high pitch noise when it crashes then prepare to have ur ears blasted
the laptop is about 3 -6 years old, also it runs the games really well until it crashes.
sorry for the late response
This problem only started to appear this year

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020
It’s possible that the processor is overheating. Some non-gaming laptops will crash if overheating occurs, it looks like that model has bad ventilation. Play a game for about 20 minutes then while game is running, go to (task manager, performance) and post the processor temp here. It should be in Celsius. I had someone with the same problem due to overheating yesterday.

Dec 8, 2020
It’s possible that the processor is overheating. Some non-gaming laptops will crash if overheating occurs, it looks like that model has bad ventilation. Play a game for about 20 minutes then while game is running, go to (task manager, performance) and post the processor temp here. It should be in Celsius. I had someone with the same problem due to overheating yesterday.
it runs for under 10 seconds, I dont know how the hell I'm going to do that. but ill try.

Dec 8, 2020
My average temp (not running games) is 50 degrees Celsius.
When gaming: About 65
Although, I've had my laptop get to 80 degrees while playing Minecraft and it did not crash (Minecraft never crashes?). Also in event viewer in system, at the very time it crashes I get this Warning
The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}
and APPID
{316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}
to the user DESKTOP-KS34C1U\jbmoo SID (S-1-5-21-353748695-3597379271-1458016144-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.19041.610_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy SID (S-1-15-2-155514346-2573954481-755741238-1654018636-1233331829-3075935687-2861478708). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020
This is far beyond my expertise, but others have fixed this error by doing the following.
I should warn you it isn’t simple unless you have worked in Regedit before. It is also semi dangerous bc you are essentially working in the laptops software. If you have a technically competent friend or family member then I suggest you recruit them for this task.

Open Regedit
  1. Go to HKEY_Classes_Root\CLSID\{C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}
  2. Right click on it then select permissions
  3. Click Advance and change the owner to Administrators group. Also click the box that will appear below the owner line. ("Replace owner ...")
  4. Apply full control

1. Go to HKEY_LocalMachine\Software\Classes\AppID\{316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}
  2. Right click on it then select permission
  3. Click Advance and change the owner to Administrators group
  4. Click the box that will appear below the owner line
  5. Click Apply and grant full control to the Administrators group

1. Go to Administrative tools
  2. Open component services
  3. Click Computer, click my computer, then click DCOM
  4. Look for the corresponding service that appears on the error viewer [Immersive Shell]
  5. Right click on it then click properties
  6. Click security tab then click Add User. Add Local Service then apply
  7. Tick the Activate local box

If this works please let me know. Good luck! 👍🏼

Dec 8, 2020
This is far beyond my expertise, but others have fixed this error by doing the following.
I should warn you it isn’t simple unless you have worked in Regedit before. It is also semi dangerous bc you are essentially working in the laptops software. If you have a technically competent friend or family member then I suggest you recruit them for this task.

Open Regedit
  1. Go to HKEY_Classes_Root\CLSID\{C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}
  2. Right click on it then select permissions
  3. Click Advance and change the owner to Administrators group. Also click the box that will appear below the owner line. ("Replace owner ...")
  4. Apply full control

1. Go to HKEY_LocalMachine\Software\Classes\AppID\{316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}
  2. Right click on it then select permission
  3. Click Advance and change the owner to Administrators group
  4. Click the box that will appear below the owner line
  5. Click Apply and grant full control to the Administrators group

1. Go to Administrative tools
  2. Open component services
  3. Click Computer, click my computer, then click DCOM
  4. Look for the corresponding service that appears on the error viewer [Immersive Shell]
  5. Right click on it then click properties
  6. Click security tab then click Add User. Add Local Service then apply
  7. Tick the Activate local box
If this works please let me know. Good luck! 👍🏼
For some reason the immersive shell settings are greyed out?
also im not seeing anything about add user
nvm fixed it.
im testing if this solution works... Unfortunately the solution did not work ): Ill check event viewer again and see what's there. So it did fix the COM errors but that didn't really help. Now that I see in task manager, I think its my memory. My memory average is 64% usage and around 70 - 90% when running the 3d games. I'll see what you can do I guess.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020
That would explain why it crashes after a few seconds. RAM (memory) is split in half when gaming. So half of whatever you have is your buffer when gaming. As you game your memory fills up with graphical terrain and textures. If it fills up all the way it will crash due to lack of capacity. Less ram is not always a problem, ram speeds and CPU speeds can effect each other. Even though the 4400 graphics should be able to run fairly simple games the ram may not allow it. The good thing is “most” laptops will allow you to switch out ram yourself, usually adding (2-8) GB, depending on the system. Usually you have to open the back of the system to swap memory.

Dec 8, 2020
That would explain why it crashes after a few seconds. RAM (memory) is split in half when gaming. So half of whatever you have is your buffer when gaming. As you game your memory fills up with graphical terrain and textures. If it fills up all the way it will crash due to lack of capacity. Less ram is not always a problem, ram speeds and CPU speeds can effect each other. Even though the 4400 graphics should be able to run fairly simple games the ram may not allow it. The good thing is “most” laptops will allow you to switch out ram yourself, usually adding (2-8) GB, depending on the system. Usually you have to open the back of the system to swap memory.
my memory is 4G that means that while gaming ive only got around 1.1G of memory. Also where can I get memory?

Dec 8, 2020
Elitebook Folio 1040 G1 ships with 4 GB soldered down memory and one memory slot
memory can be upgraded to 8 GB
Below is the memory spec
DR3L SDRAM (1600 MHz, 1.3v)

according to HP you can only add another 4gb. Look for DR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz 1.3V