[SOLVED] Laptop wont start, "System volume on disk is corrupt", and I have no idea how to fix it

Status
Not open for further replies.

keenwads

Prominent
Aug 24, 2018
without doing anything out of the norm to my laptop, it suddenly stopped working earlier today. The laptop turns on and it goes straight into windows recovery mode, although the repair tool does nothing. I used to command prompt option to try and see what was wrong and eventually I figured out that the root cause, according to the chkdsk command and the SrtTrail.txt file, the root cause of the issue is apparently "System volume on disk is corrupt". I have no idea how to fix this so any help would be appreciated, and I have important documents on the laptop which I can't really afford to lose, so any help on fixing this issue and getting my laptop to start up normally would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Note: Windows recovery mode does not give me an option to reset the laptop or continue into windows.

download windows 10 iso on a working pc to a usb flash drive. and try recovery from that

and where the backup if your documents are important?
I agree and if you still can't recover your windows to booting.

Pull the drive and attach to a working computer and save your important files/data onto a working computer. Once saved than put drive back into laptop and do what you need to, to get system back up and running.

Just trying to help you save your data and get that out of the way first.

Abhinav2005

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
Go to Command prompt.

Type sfc /scannow and enter and let it run. It will scan and try to fix some of your system files.
While in Command Prompt, type chkdsk /f /r and enter and let it run. It will scan and try to fix any corruption or bad sectors on your hard drive and mostly remove that as a cause. I'd bet it finds some corrupt sectors.

Can you get into safe made (by clicking continuously on the F8 button while booting and then selecting safe mode with networking)? If so, then please post any repeating error messages from the Event Viewer concerning startup (Start / Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Event Viewer).

Hopefully you can get into safe mode, as sfc /scannow is best run inside windows (OP siad he already ran chkdsk). Other wise it's likely you have a failing hdd, so follow stonecarver's post if you do not have a good backup and look into getting a new hdd (preferably a ssd).

Feb 13, 2020
If the data on the drive is valuable to you, then you need to retrieve the data on it you need by removing it or booting from a usb live image, before attempting any disk repairs..

otherwise the repairs run the risk of damaging the existing data

keenwads

Prominent
Aug 24, 2018
If the data on the drive is valuable to you, then you need to retrieve the data on it you need by removing it or booting from a usb live image, before attempting any disk repairs..

otherwise the repairs run the risk of damaging the existing data
How would i boot it from a live image?

keenwads

Prominent
Aug 24, 2018
I agree and if you still can't recover your windows to booting.

Pull the drive and attach to a working computer and save your important files/data onto a working computer. Once saved than put drive back into laptop and do what you need to, to get system back up and running.

Just trying to help you save your data and get that out of the way first.
Ill give that a go, but im not sure how to boot windows from a flash drive?

keenwads

Prominent
Aug 24, 2018
Hopefully you can get into safe mode, as sfc /scannow is best run inside windows (OP siad he already ran chkdsk). Other wise it's likely you have a failing hdd, so follow stonecarver's post if you do not have a good backup and look into getting a new hdd (preferably a ssd).
I couldnt get into safe mode, but i ran sfc /scannow anyway and i got the message "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation" Is there any way to fix this?

keenwads

Prominent
Aug 24, 2018
Go to Command prompt.

Type sfc /scannow and enter and let it run. It will scan and try to fix some of your system files.
While in Command Prompt, type chkdsk /f /r and enter and let it run. It will scan and try to fix any corruption or bad sectors on your hard drive and mostly remove that as a cause. I'd bet it finds some corrupt sectors.

Can you get into safe made (by clicking continuously on the F8 button while booting and then selecting safe mode with networking)? If so, then please post any repeating error messages from the Event Viewer concerning startup (Start / Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Event Viewer).
I got an error message saying "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation" when i ran sfc /scannow and i got another error message when i tried to run chkdsk /f /r saying "the type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected" How would I go about fixing this?

Run chkdisk on system volume. That is small 350-500MB partition containing bootloader. You may need to assign a drive letter to is using diskpart first.
If chkdisk can't fix it, then you can format it and use bcdboot command to restore bootloader. Just don't format windows partition by accident.

If you need assistance with this then execute following commands and post photo of command output
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
list volume

Abhinav2005

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
I got an error message saying "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation" when i ran sfc /scannow and i got another error message when i tried to run chkdsk /f /r saying "the type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected" How would I go about fixing this?
That's strange
Anyways try - chkdsk C: /f /r /x

keenwads

Prominent
Aug 24, 2018
Run chkdisk on system volume. That is small 350-500MB partition containing bootloader. You may need to assign a drive letter to is using diskpart first.
If chkdisk can't fix it, then you can format it and use bcdboot command to restore bootloader. Just don't format windows partition by accident.

If you need assistance with this then execute following commands and post photo of command output
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
list volume
View: https://imgur.com/2EVdUK3
heres the image, and I think i do need assistance with the bcdoot command

First run chkdisk on bootloader partition (small 99MB partition)

diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 2
assign letter=H
exit
chkdsk H: /f

Then fix bootloader. I'm not sure, which is your windows partition. There are no labels on them.
It's either 199GB or 276GB.
Execute these commands (one of those will give error).

bcdboot d:\windows /s H:
bcdboot e:\windows /s H:

keenwads

Prominent
Aug 24, 2018
First run chkdisk on bootloader partition (small 99MB partition)

diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 2
assign letter=H
exit
chkdsk H: /f

Then fix bootloader. I'm not sure, which is your windows partition. There are no labels on them.
It's either 199GB or 276GB.
Execute these commands (one of those will give error).

bcdboot d:\windows /s H:
bcdboot e:\windows /s H:
That didnt work either, unfortunately

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.