[SOLVED] Latency Spikes and Packet Loss even when connection is Idle. HELP!!

akshay0009

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
I am having latency spikes and sometimes getting packet loss even when the connection is idle. Its making my online gaming experience unbearable. I also tried connecting the ethernet cable directly to the PC but still I am getting the issue. I have also spoken with the ISP but they are not helping to fix it. I have only 1 ISP around so theres no option to change the net provider. Please help me to make them understand whats going on with their network and why I m facing this issue. I am certain that its not a PC hardware issue because my friend who lives in the neighbor also is facing the same issue.
I have 10 Mbps connection.

https://prnt.sc/q6y9fu
The screenshot is taken from pingplotter. Have a look and give some suggestions.

THANK YOU.

Solution
The plot shows loss and delay in hop1. Generally this is inside your house and most times is caused because you are using wifi to connect to your router. Interference from neighbors causes errors in the wifi transmissions and you get packet loss and delays.

What is strange is your first hop has a public IP. Normally it is not a good idea to post your ip on the internet but in this case it is helps.

It is strange to see public IP in hop1. This means you are either are directly connected with a only a modem. ..ie no router. Or you are using something like a cell phone connection where you directly connect to the network.

In general you can fix hop1 problems because it is inside your house. It is most times some issue with...
The plot shows loss and delay in hop1. Generally this is inside your house and most times is caused because you are using wifi to connect to your router. Interference from neighbors causes errors in the wifi transmissions and you get packet loss and delays.

What is strange is your first hop has a public IP. Normally it is not a good idea to post your ip on the internet but in this case it is helps.

It is strange to see public IP in hop1. This means you are either are directly connected with a only a modem. ..ie no router. Or you are using something like a cell phone connection where you directly connect to the network.

In general you can fix hop1 problems because it is inside your house. It is most times some issue with the PC or router but in your case it may be the network connection.

Solution

akshay0009

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

In general you can fix hop1 problems because it is inside your house. It is most times some issue with the PC or router but in your case it may be the network connection.
You are right, its directly connected to pc and modem. I wanted to check if its router that is causing this and its seems not. Have a look at this other screenshot of today. I am using router this time.
https://prnt.sc/q71r21

I just want to know whats causing this problem and how do I confront this problem with my ISP.

Not sure what to suggest. The ISP needs to fix this. This is very strange to see high latency on the connection to your house. This either means the ISP has over sold the network and your neighbors traffic is delaying yours or you are on some form of wireless internet connection like a cell mobile broadband.

Still it could just be strange cable issues. ISP will generally fix packet loss. You need to leave a constant ping run to the ISP IP address. I would run it without the router so they can not blame it.....then again they might blame the pc so you could ping the router show no loss and show ping to there ip at the same time shows loss.

The ISP techs likely do not understand pathping so you are better off using actually ping commands that run constantly and screen shot that.

Reactions: akshay0009