ltk

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
My laptop has a standard AGP port but obvious limited room. If it exists, has only seen an AGP extention cable? Basically something I can stick into the slot and then extend about a foot so that I can build a box to hold an external full size AGP card? I know someone's had to try it already...

ltk

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I know sounds weird... but something I can extend the port to outside the laptop case so that I can hook up an external video card. I'd probably have to cut a slit in the bottom of the case for it to come out of, but technically I think it should work if they make something like this.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Don't know of any. Kindof doubt if it is possible.

PCI (which AGP is an offshoot of) had a spec that said the wires on the between a card/slot and the chipset could only be about 20 in long (to keep the signals in synch or stable or something). AGP runs at twice that rate, so I would expect it to be even less - possibly half that, and that would include the wires on the mobo going from the chipset to the AGP slot.

Mike.

ltk

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Yeah, probably right. As soon as I took my laptop apart my idea was throw out anyways. On another forum someone said it has a standard AGP port on the MB, but that's definitely not the case from what I could tell by taking it apart. Oh well, guess it's time to by an Dell XPS or something. Thanks