[SOLVED] LC Power LC600H-12 V2.31 for R9 380 ???

ukLz

Distinguished
Hey there.

I've been using i5-4460 , 16gb of ddr3 and GTX 750 Ti 2GB for about 4 years straight and I definitely need an upgrade.

I was browsing for used gpus on national second-hand website in my country and found Asus STRIX R9 380 4GB for exactly 50€ .

I was down for it because I currently cannot afford more than that for a gpu upgrade.

But the current PSU that I have is some random chinese trash which doesn't support a single PCI 6pin power connector, so I obviously need a new PSU to replace the current one.

I've been talking to friends to suggest me the best power supply in my country for about 50€ (i am going to sell my 750ti very soon for the same price) and buy from that cash a new PSU. They said LC Power 600W is the best budget variant by far.

So far, they have suggested me Corsair VS550 for 50-60€ budget and few more, but I can't exactly remember which ones.

So all in all, the question is: is LC600H-12 V2.31 going to be a good deal as upgrade? What I care the most is durability / endurance of this PSU, because we all know that R9 380 takes a plenty of power and I fear it may die yet too soon during critical gaming moments.

So what's your thoughts? Thanks in advance !

Last edited:
Solution
XFX TS series was built for XFX by Seasonic. The platform is solid. It's also almost exactly the same as the Seasonic M12-II/S12-II, but XFX asked for a few slight upgrades that changed the 520w/620w upto a 550w/650w.

Consequently, it's EOL as of 2016 (?) so that used psu is already almost 5 years old, probably more. It's still a very good psu, for what it is, it's the what it isn't that lacking. It isn't new, it isn't dc-dc, it isn't under even a manufacturers warranty anymore, it isn't worth €60.
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (€79.99 @ Corsair DE)
Total: €79.99
If you go through Corsair direct, sign up on their website, I believe you can get a 10% discount for...

simonyeeklang

Distinguished
BANNED
Aug 22, 2011
Got $ don't even touch this type of LC-Power 600W no matter what because it is a low-quality Power Supply.
Are you risking PSU to blow up or you want to shorten the hardware lifespan?
Go and get into the Power Supply calculator and check your requirement and don't risk your hardware on this chicken feed Power Supply.

DSzymborski

Titan
Unfortunately, the LC Power is random trash. It's just random trash with a PCIE connector slapped on.

A power hungry GPU is inappropriate without an actual quality PSU. I'd personally go with a minimum of a modern Corsair CX for this GPU, but a Corsair VS would be a lot better, assuming it has a gray label.

Honestly, I'd stick with the 750 Ti until I could get both the GPU and the safe, dependable PSU that can run the GPU. You don't actually have the budget for the sports car until you have the budget for the sports car and its insurance and its maintenance.

Reactions: Archaic59

DSzymborski

Titan
Alright, got it, so LC Power no longer an option.

Btw I've just run onto this as a recommendation: https://www.fsplifestyle.com/en/product/HVPRO550W.html

55€ in local stores here. Is this going to get the job done ?

Better than your other options, but I'm not crazy about any 230V EU-only PSU; it means that there are some serious corners cut. If this were something like a 1650 that sips power, I think it'd be OK, but you'd be wise to be more ambitious with the PSU with a power hungry AMD PSU.

DSzymborski

Titan
Yup. Looks like a quality PSU for my needs won't pass below 60€.
I guess adding 10 euros more for the budget is going to be necessary if I want this thing to last...

It's the safe thing to do. A quality PSU will last you a decade. Unfortunately, prices are quite a bit higher than normal because of the supply shortages directly and indirectly caused by COVID-19.

ukLz

Distinguished
I've just received an offer..
550W LC Power LC5550 V2.2 80 Plus Bronze for about 55€ (new, unsed)

It definitely doesn't look as bad as first LC Power I had on my mind, plus it's got 80+ Bronze certificate. Does this one seem as an alright choice to you by any chance ?

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
The 80 Plus badge isn't quality, just efficiency. The Yugo had some of the best gas mileage in the 1980s, but it was a terrible car.

The fact that it can only do 400W on the +12V rail out of 550W indicates that this is an ancient design. This is not a company with a history of selling quality power supplies, but the cheapest stuff that Huntkey or Great Wall or Andyson are willing to slap together.

The PSU is the most important part of the PC. It's fine to be unambitious, but in that case, I'd just stick with the 750 Ti. When you want to use a relatively modern, 200W GPU, then you have to get the proper safety equipment for that GPU. This is the worst place to nickel-and-dime; it's like not fixing your brakes because you want to get the moonroof.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ppl don't like doctors generally, because they hit you where it really hurts the most. Your wallet.

The psu is the heart of a pc. It's got its claws into Everything. There's nothing that works in a pc without the psu being involved, either directly or indirectly. So if a doctor said to you that it was time for a new heart, tell me seriously you'd consider a €50k heart from an obese, lifetime chainsmoking couch-potatoe, vrs a €100k youthful, clean living, athletic non-smoker. Would there really be any hesitation? Would the price difference really matter?

Ask your pc what kind of heart it wants, needs, deserves....

It's €55 for inappropriate Garbage with a 1-3 year warranty (really, stop laughing, they call it a warranty on paper) . It's €70-€90 for something really decent (5-12 years and protective circuitry up the wazoo).

My new psu, $140 (€120), fits in the palm of my hand, Corsair SF600 Platinum. No joke, the psu is absolutely not worth cutting corners, settling for mediocre, cheaping out in any way. There's simply far too much that totally relies on it.

Oh, and the Radeon R9 series, especially the higher tier gpus, are extremely prone to out-of-the-blue spikes, so for that card, I'd recommend a decent 650w, even an excellent 550w would be pushing your luck for tripping protections.

Last edited:

ukLz

Distinguished
Wow, alright, I didn't know PSU is that much important component within a system. I never looked it as a "heart" of the PC before, but technically it is exactly what it is - a heart of the PC which powers up the whole thing.

However,
I came across used asus strix RX 470 4GB for 10€ extra cash than originally R9 380 and decided to go for it. Ofc there isn't much of a difference in power consumption of both of the cards, but I am still going to need a new solid psu.

So I found an used XFX TS Series 550W 80PLUS BRONZE for about 60€ which is ok price for my budget.
I did some research about it and came up with positive marks on this particular PSU, a great deal for its price. The guy who is selling it doesn't live too far away from me, so I would get the psu myself prior thorough psu check with the seller himself. If it turns out it's all fine , I would give it a shot. I don't expect it to work longer than 2 yrs , because I might get rid of this rig by then. But yeah, this might be my final decision on this particular case.

Your thoughts ?

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
XFX TS series was built for XFX by Seasonic. The platform is solid. It's also almost exactly the same as the Seasonic M12-II/S12-II, but XFX asked for a few slight upgrades that changed the 520w/620w upto a 550w/650w.

Consequently, it's EOL as of 2016 (?) so that used psu is already almost 5 years old, probably more. It's still a very good psu, for what it is, it's the what it isn't that lacking. It isn't new, it isn't dc-dc, it isn't under even a manufacturers warranty anymore, it isn't worth €60.
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (€79.99 @ Corsair DE)
Total: €79.99
If you go through Corsair direct, sign up on their website, I believe you can get a 10% discount for first time buyer. It's how I bought my psu when nobody else had them, and/or wanted more $. No middleman markups.

And it's good enough to power your next build, most likely, saving you money there.

Last edited:
Solution