DuaneWhitney

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
Hi,

I'm looking for an LCD monitor to replace a relatively small crt, to be used mainly for work (coding, analyzing data, reading pdf's of papers) and also for watching movies. I am thinking about getting a 24" ASUS (VH242HL-P)

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=WGpG1BYcLco9P2RS

I'm wondering what the optimal size is for a 1080p monitor and if I need to worry about the refresh rate? The impression I get is that 5ms is fine for my application. I'm thinking the 24" screen will be better for running multiple applications (compiler/IDE on one side and a command window on the other side). An alternative is to go with smaller dual monitors (maybe two 19"). The adjustable height on this ASUS is a plus.

btw, I have a hd 4850 graphics card.

Any suggestions on other LCDs that would be better suited for my application would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Duane.

ridic23

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
u have a very good graphics card.....its an overkill considering ur main work....if ur not into gaming much then u dont need to worry about refresh rate.....a single big monitor would be fine and u can use ur old one too as a secondary.....The monitor you have chosen is good....the optimum size for 1080p monitor is 24"....

The optimum size depends on the distance the viewer will be from the screen, sitting at the back of a 60' long room would render a 24" screen pretty useless but a 108' screen could be considered optimal but if you are only 2' away then a 22" may be considered optimal.

I prefer a 1920 x 1200 resolution because it covers both 1920 x 1200 applications and lets me have a bit of screen real estate at the bottom when running 1920 x 1080.

1920 x 1200 can be had on screens ranging from 15.4" laptops to 27" desktop screens. With my eyes, and at my desk (distance sitting back from screen), I start to notice individual pixels when pixels per inch gets below 96-100 and the image starts to look grainy. A 22" looks great at that resolution (Lennovo L220x). A 23" gives you 98.4 and a 24" 94.0

As for response time, taking the manufacturer's word for it is like asking Lindsey Lohan if she gave up chemical dependencies. Look only at test results from trusted review sites. Gamers need to worry about response times and therefore TN panels dominate the hard core fps players choices. Video and photo editing users are interested in color accuracy but this requires at least an IPS (I.e. Dell U2410 - IPS - $599) or S-PVA (i.e. Dell 2408WFP - $449) panel. The ones listed have decent response times and will satisfy all but the most ardent fps shooter type hard core gamer.