Leaked Slide Shows Intel Haswell Set for March-June 2013

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
To me it makes sense that Ticks are die shrinks and Tocks are new architectures. New architectures bring significant new features that are very visible to the end user, while process shinks aren't quite as dramatic for the most part. Just look at the Core 2 -> Nahelem tock and compare that to the Nahelem -> Westmere tick.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]vitornob[/nom]Seeing a slide like that make me think that hitting a dead body is kind of useless..Today AMD have troubles to keep general performace with the current Sandy-Bridge. Ivy-Bridge will be better and it's coming.. in less than a year and half will be an Ivy-Bridge upgrade?AMD really need to run at fast pace. really fast..[/citation]

I don't see what this slide proves other than "new CPUs will be coming out". I think AMD already knew that Intel would continue to release new CPUs in 2013.

[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]This is what I love about Intel; you know what is coming and can plan ahead for your upgrades! With AMD you never know when something is going to be released until it is 1-2 months away, and you never know what type of performance you will be getting. I don't mean to knock AMD that hard, they have a few good products left, and have been a great innovator in the past; but until they get their act together they are going to have some heavy competition on the low end with ARM and Atom chips, and they have allready lost the battle on the high end to Intel. Heck, they have already lost most of the budget race to used Intel equipment that is a few years old and is still faster than budget Phenoms... It's a truly dark day for an otherwise great company[/citation]

What are you talking about? Are you aware AMD also has slides showing it's future products? And since when has Atom been competition so far?

A lot of people seem to be making a blind assumption that Haswell will be awesome just because it's new. New architectures aren't always an improvement. If you have any doubts, take a look at Bulldozer. By 2013 AMD's architecture will have a couple years to improve and Intel's will be brand new. I can't predict how either of those will perform, but 2013 leaves the opportunity for AMD to gain some ground if they can fix their architecture soon.

AMD has never been "winning the race". The only time they even gained any ground at all was when Intel stopped racing and had a couple of beers. Intel is much larger, has more money, bigger factories, more R&D, better patents, and stronger business contracts. The only way they can compete has been in markets Intel didn't want. Intel ignored budget CPUs, AMD was there. Intel didn't like overclocking, AMD did it. Intel had expensive chipsets, AMD offered cheaper. Intel changed their sockets, AMD made theirs backwards compatible. By this point, their best bet is the field Intel can't compete in, discrete GPU integration. APUs are the only thing that Intel can't easily copy, so it makes sense AMD wants to focus mainly on those.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]TheViper[/nom]I thought the same thing.The phrase is "Tick Tock"So "Ticks" would the new architectures while "Tocks' would be die shrinks of that architecture.But apparently Intel is notating it based on the manufacturing process, not the microarchitecture.http://www.intel.com/content/www/u [...] neral.htmlThat sounds backwards to me but whatever works for Intel.[/citation]
A tock is louder than a tick ... tick TOCK

TheViper

Distinguished
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]A tock is louder than a tick ... tick TOCK[/citation]
But a "Tick" comes first. You don't even get a "Tock" without a "Tick".

But as I noted in the link I posted, the "Tick Tock" strategy is based on shrinking the die process, not introducing new architectures anyway.

whitey_rolls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
This news is all well and good but for a guy that owns a 2600K I can tell you I'm not overly excited.

The Sandy Bridge processors which are already over a year old still destroy anything thrown at it (for the average user) so I can't really see having to upgrade for quite some time.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Rofl, Ivybridge-E is missing. Is the slide going to tell us that those 2011 socket user gonna stuck with 32nm SandyBridge-E even until Haswell coming out. rofl. Looks like paying more doesnt get u the latest thing from Intel these days. I figure if Intel still gonna stick 3960x in Enthusiast level, Haswell is going to have only 4cores, ~10%-15% better clock for clock performance over Ivy bridge while getting improved Graphics + TDP down to 65w. lol. AMD we really need you to "man-up".

f-14

Distinguished
so the 2k series is going to be discontinued in the 2nd quarter this year and the 3700< is going to be discontinued in the 1st quarter of next year?
1155 is DOA and the 3700< DOA within a year also.
is intel mocking AMD's video card launches or just learning from nvidia and amd how to release product and get away with it?

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]Rofl, Ivybridge-E is missing. Is the slide going to tell us that those 2011 socket user gonna stuck with 32nm SandyBridge-E even until Haswell coming out. rofl. Looks like paying more doesnt get u the latest thing from Intel these days. I figure if Intel still gonna stick 3960x in Enthusiast level, Haswell is going to have only 4cores, ~10%-15% better clock for clock performance over Ivy bridge while getting improved Graphics + TDP down to 65w. lol. AMD we really need you to "man-up".[/citation]
from what i understand the 3800> series is more for servers. how often do you upgrade your servers for new video games, direct x enhancements, operating systems?
if intel did this to the enterprise market amd's strategy of backward compatibility will win as corporations don't want to waste money changing out systems every year. they make money by flogging the horse until there is nothing but bones left.
the only industry that needs to be on the cutting edge all the time to make/save money is the graphics industry like hollywood.

G

this is why i only upgrade every 5-10 years when the old cpu completely dies and is ran into the ground, not only do I have to buy a new $300 cpu but $2000 worth of other crap as well since the new cpu won't fit in the old socket (and finding a 5yo cpu that still works on ebay is harder to do these days). wish they'd hurry up and just put the whole damn computer on the cpu and make it run on 170vdc (no power supply needed then either, 160-170vdc= just rectified/filtered mains, with the motherboard just being a bunch of sockets wired together). wouldn't be that hard to do if some of the billions of transistors were in series instead of parallel I wouldn't think. currently set up just to milk cash from people chasing e-penis trophies.

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
I have both Intel and amd cpus. Though I know that 80% of stuff is intel. Check out this. I think they will win. Good for AMD.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/get-ready-for-off-brand-ultrabooks-can-amds-new-trinity-processor-beat-intel-on-performance-and-price/

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
AMD also makes broad claims about Trinity’s gaming prowess, claiming it blows away Intel’s Ivy Bridge Core i7-3770K native graphics at near-HD resolution in a variety of mainstream, high-performance games — AMD says Trinity’s performance at StarCraft 2 is about 150 percent better than Intel’s Ivy Bridge. However, these benchmarks haven’t been confirmed, and they represent a desktop version of Trinity — the A10-5800K running at 3.8GHz and apparently consuming about 100 watts. Real-time performance on lower-power systems will, of course, be lower — and that applies to both Intel and AMD.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/get-ready-for-off-brand-ultrabooks-can-amds-new-trinity-processor-beat-intel-on-performance-and-price/#ixzz28c2VT4gB

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]this is why i only upgrade every 5-10 years when the old cpu completely dies and is ran into the ground, not only do I have to buy a new $300 cpu but $2000 worth of other crap as well since the new cpu won't fit in the old socket (and finding a 5yo cpu that still works on ebay is harder to do these days). wish they'd hurry up and just put the whole damn computer on the cpu and make it run on 170vdc (no power supply needed then either, 160-170vdc= just rectified/filtered mains, with the motherboard just being a bunch of sockets wired together). wouldn't be that hard to do if some of the billions of transistors were in series instead of parallel I wouldn't think. currently set up just to milk cash from people chasing e-penis trophies.[/citation]

You failed first grade physics?

Status
Not open for further replies.