Learning about satellites

tjones9163

Reputable
Apr 12, 2017
I know this is off topic from, but I know many of the members of this community have lots of experience in different areas of electronics.
I am trying to learn more about satellites and I cant which books on eBay or amazon are for beginners or advanced.
Does anyone know any good references or books to learn about satellites for beginners?

USAFRet

Titan
"satellites " is a very broad topic.

Launching, maintain in orbit, comm, optics, up/downlink, etc, etc.
All handled by different parts of the team.

What realm might you be interested in?

tjones9163

Reputable
Apr 12, 2017
Maybe something that explains the different parts that make up a satellite like you said and explains generally how each part operates

Satellite Communications are infinitely more advanced now than even 35 years ago when all I had to worry about was whether WB secure voice (KY58) worked, or whether or not the AN/UYA-7 via AFSATCOM worked at a paltry 50-75 bps.. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFO_(satellite)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wideband_Global_SATCOM

Now even quite a few aircraft have 5-10 Mbps connectivity, although this can be spotty in tight aircraft turns due to satellite angle of elevation antenna reception angles relative to aircraft bank angle, etc...

Somebody explain to me why airlines can provide over-the-ocean Internet but doesn't seem to be able to track aircraft more or less on real time (lost Malaysian plane). Hey is satellite related right :)

USAFRet

Titan
Somebody explain to me why airlines can provide over-the-ocean Internet but doesn't seem to be able to track aircraft more or less on real time (lost Malaysian plane). Hey is satellite related right :)
The sat beaming a signal to or near the surface is not location specific. It simply beams over a wide area, and whatever is in range picks it up.

Actual location tracking is much more difficult.

I have a standalone Magellan GPS in my truck. Speaks to several satellites at the same time.
Knows which end of the house I'm in.
The satellites, however...have no idea.

I have a standalone Magellan GPS in my truck. Speaks to several satellites at the same time.
Knows which end of the house I'm in.
The satellites, however...have no idea.
Not sure if I get the gist.

So your truck "knows"where it is. So now it just need to send that info to the communication (not GPS) sat. what is the prob?