Status
Not open for further replies.

ForeverMore

Honorable
Nov 13, 2014
(Pretty sure this isn't a headset issue, that's why I'm posting here, please read to understand. Also, sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong thread, I didn't know which would be best for this so I just chose "Systems" because even though I think my problem is with my motherboard, I cannot be 100% sure that it isn't something else.)

This story begins when I bought a Corsair Virtuoso RGB (non SE) to replace my HyperX Cloud Core. Long story short, it wasn't good so I returned it. I then bought a Roccat Khan AIMO and though it was great on the outside the sound quality couldn't compare to my Cloud Core, so I returned that one as well and bought a HyperX Revolver S. This is where my problem begins. For some reason the audio coming out of the left driver/earcup was noticeably quieter than the right. This happed using both the USB and analog connection. I thought the headset was just defective so I returned it and got a Logitech G Pro X because I didn't like the sound of the Revolver either. I thought it was awesome and really wanted to keep it but sadly the sound in the left ear was noticeably more muted on this one as well... And I tested it with both USB and analog as well. I even tried it on my brother's PC and got the same problem. (He has a GA-AB350-Gaming 3.) Anyway, I knew the chances were slim, but I thought that maybe, somehow, this headset had the same defect as the last one. So I returned it and bought a Steel Series Arctis Pro today. Guess what... Same problem, same earcup, even with the 3.5mm connection like the last two... Okay, so I guess the problem is my system somehow, and yes, I installed all the available/necessary software and drivers for each headset. So maybe it's a motherboard audio driver? I checked the Gigabyte website (I have an Aorus X470 Gaming 7 Wifi-50) and saw that there was a Realtek audio driver that I never installed. So I installed that, restarted my PC, and tested the Arctis Pro again. Still, the problem persisted... And when switching back to my Cloud Core during testing of EACH headset, everything was and still is fine balance-wise, and this problem isn't placebo either because when switching back and forth between the old and new headsets the difference of bad and good, imbalanced and balanced, is night and day.
Also, I already tried going into the Windows settings/headset software settings to balance the sound manually on each headset, it was the first thing I tried, but when I did that it never sounded quite right. But I admit, that could be placebo though. Anyway, that's just a workaround and doesn't really solve or give an answer to my problem.
Also, the G Pro X doesn't have a balancing option in the software or in Windows for some reason.
I also tried the Arctis Pro on my Dad's laptop via USB and wouldn't you know, it worked perfectly, left and right was balanced just fine... Guess my PC is the problem for some reason. I then tested it on my secondary install of Windows 10 and got the same problem of imbalanced L and R. It's a clean install only about a year old or less. I guess at least now I can be more sure that this is a hardware problem and not a software one.
Anyway, this has been such a hassle for me over the past 2 weeks, I'm tired and just want a good headset to replace my old one... Can anyone offer any kind of assistance/answers plz?
(Yes, I did Google my problem but I didn't really know what keywords to use for the best results, I couldn't find anything that helped.)

Last edited:
If you have Realtek audio, the audio console has a L/R balance slider, you can check that out.

Or, on the Taskbar you have a speaker icon. Right click, click on "open sound settings". Under "output" above master volume (at least on mine), there's a "device properties". Click on that and there are individual sliders for L/R

ForeverMore

Honorable
Nov 13, 2014
If you have Realtek audio, the audio console has a L/R balance slider, you can check that out.

Or, on the Taskbar you have a speaker icon. Right click, click on "open sound settings". Under "output" above master volume (at least on mine), there's a "device properties". Click on that and there are individual sliders for L/R

I already tried that on each headset, it was the first thing I tried (just forgot to mention that) but when I did it it never sounded quite right. I admit, that could be placebo though. Also, that's just a workaround and doesn't really provide a solution or answer to my problem. Also, the G Pro X doesn't have a balancing option in the software or in Windows for some reason.
Maybe there's a reason to all this madness, maybe the universe or God is trying to tell me that I shouldn't get a headset but instead get a good pair of headphones and a separate mic. 🤔 Don't know if that would be any different though.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
I already tried that on each headset, it was the first thing I tried (just forgot to mention that) but when I did it it never sounded quite right. I admit, that could be placebo though. Also, that's just a workaround and doesn't really provide a solution or answer to my problem. Also, the G Pro X doesn't have a balancing option in the software or in Windows for some reason.
Maybe there's a reason to all this madness, maybe the universe or God is trying to tell me that I shouldn't get a headset but instead get a good pair of headphones and a separate mic. 🤔 Don't know if that would be any different though.
Its quite weird that you had the same problem on another pc as well. That doesn't sound like a driver issue. Not trying to offend but are you sure it's not a hearing issue for you? I mean you would probably notice during normal day stuff but I can't seem to find out a reason why this would happen on another pc as well. Out of personal experience, I also suggest posting on reddit, people are much more active there lol.

ForeverMore

Honorable
Nov 13, 2014
Its quite weird that you had the same problem on another pc as well. That doesn't sound like a driver issue. Not trying to offend but are you sure it's not a hearing issue for you? I mean you would probably notice during normal day stuff but I can't seem to find out a reason why this would happen on another pc as well. Out of personal experience, I also suggest posting on reddit, people are much more active there lol.

It seems you missed the part in my description where I said that when I go back to my Cloud Core everything sounds correct, balance is perfectly fine, and the "difference of bad and good, imbalanced and balanced, is night and day". Also, you missed where I said that when I tried the Arctis Pro on my Dad's laptop the balance was fine. So that rules out hearing problems easy.
And I did post this on Reddit as well, here's the link: link to reddit thread. But that died in just one day sadly 😭

It seems you missed the part in my description where I said that when I go back to my Cloud Core everything sounds correct, balance is perfectly fine, and the "difference of bad and good, imbalanced and balanced, is night and day". Also, you missed where I said that when I tried the Arctis Pro on my Dad's laptop the balance was fine. So that rules out hearing problems easy.
And I did post this on Reddit as well, here's the link: link to reddit thread. But that died in just one day sadly 😭
Okay so the only common thing between your and your bro's pc was gigabyte. So I'm guessing it's a motherboard/manufacturer software issue. I wouldn't be surprised, gigabyte' s software makes me want to smash my pc

ForeverMore

Honorable
Nov 13, 2014
Update: I tried the Arctis Pro on my friend's PC and it worked fine with no L & R balance weirdness. He has a Z390 Aorus Ultra, a Gigabyte board... So maybe it's just the low-end Gygabyte boards that I'm having this problem on... I cannot do any further testing though because I returned the headset the other day.

ForeverMore

Honorable
Nov 13, 2014
Sorry to revive this but I have an update.
I bought a X570 Aorus Elite (non wifi) mobo, installed it in my system, updated the BIOS, uninstalled the old mobo drivers, and installed the new ones. Tested yet ANOTHER headset and got the same problem... My current headset still sounds fine tho. I also tested it on a 2nd installation of Windows 10 and on a Ubuntu USB. Still, the audio imbalance persisted but ONLY in MY system. And like before, it sounded fine on my friend's... Maybe I should have gone with a different motherboard brand... Maybe I'll try that in a few months, or build a whole new system late this year or sometime next year... Idk.

Status
Not open for further replies.