Legos of the Fall: Most-Anticipated Sets for the Rest of 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekinchief

Expert
Ambassador
Sep 10, 2008
Thanks for the feedback. We define Tom's Hardware as a site for tech enthusiasts, many of whom like to build things other than PCs and / or share those experiences with their kids. In the weeks ahead, you'll be seeing more content that appeals to makers and to parents.

Many of the projects on here are tech-related (for example, the Lego Batmobile is programmable). We're trying to reach out to people with new types of content and see how this goes. One of our new core values is "fun." If we see people aren't reading stories about a new we're trying, we'll adjust accordingly.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

In the weeks ahead, I might stop following this site. Anandtech has a broader computing focus, anyhow. I never could get Toms even to review any of the growing trend of SFF PCs based on Celerons or Pentium Silver. Some of those could be good HTPCs or for home automation. It's like Toms Hardware has no interest in anything besides gaming (and mining) PCs, these days.

I have also suggested adding some coverage of home servers. That's a whole DIY area that's been completely neglected by this site, for years.

And I can't remember the last time I saw any reviews of wi fi routers, on here. That's some information I could actually use right now, in fact.

My only complaint about that was you barely scratched the tech aspects. The article was free of any specifications & details not available on their website. There are moders and probably a few hackers on this site who might like to know what's under the hood.

Zaporro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
What the frik Tom's Hardware?

First idiot "guides" like "how do i create partition", "how do i connect monitor", "how do i PC" and now article's completely unrelated to computer hardware?

When you gonna change the misleading "For the Hardcore PC Enthusiasts" into "Just another pseudo PC tech news site loaded with obnoxious ads that's about everything and nothing just to rack up views and funds for country restricted giveaways that you will never be allowed to participate in"?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
@Zaporro.

First idiot "guides" like "how do i create partition", "how do i connect monitor", "how do i PC" and now article's completely unrelated to computer hardware?

You really need to open up your eyes, and your intellect. This site also has sub-forums dedicated to Windows 7, Windows 10, WiFi, Home Audio, Car Audio, Games, and all sorts of other stuff that's not strictly related to pc hardware. As far as 'idiot articles' go, take a peek at the forums, you'll see hundreds of posts daily about just that, ppl asking idiot questions and wanting definitive answers when all the info is already there but they are too lazy to read.
"for country restricted giveaways that you will never be allowed to participate in"?
Sucks to live in a non participating country for sure, but due to import/customs regulations set up by those very countries, it excludes those ppl. You wanna change that? Get the laws changed. Tom's has a rather large community, including quite a few mods, in Germany and even it is excluded from most giveaways, due to those regulations.

You toss blame in the direction of Purch Inc, when really it's your own fault for agreeing to the lawmakers in the first place.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Is it really that difficult for people on this site to exercise some self-restraint? If you aren't interested in the topic then don't click on the article. It's really that simple.

I thought it was a good read for one of the slide-based posts. Any chance of seeing a future article that goes through a programming example using Lego?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

It's misguided to equate forum content with editorial focus.

The sub-forums you mention are justifiable if you consider that people with thousands of posts get to know each other and discover random areas of common interest. If you didn't have those sub-forums, then they'd pollute other forums with unrelated discussions, so it's best to give them their own little playground.

If this site increases breadth to many subject areas I don't care about, then I foresee it being a bother to sift through so many of those articles to find the few I do want to read, and would eventually just not bother. Furthermore, if breath came at the expense depth, then that's a deal-breaker for me.

So, it's not that one little article about Legos is worth this amount of fuss - I'm just worried about what it portends.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The thing is, the field of computing is broader than ever. In the recent past, Toms Hardware has seemed to focus on gaming, mining, and VR. As I said above, there are natural ways to broaden coverage to related areas (networking, home servers, HTPC, home automation, cloud services, etc.), that could leverage the site's strengths, reputation, and user community.

Instead, it seems we're getting... random stuff nerdy you might also be into? I'm a little baffled.

Status
Not open for further replies.