Length of the "L" shaped metal plate in Graphics Cards

timAugustine

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014
Hi,

I'm on the verge of purchasing an Asus GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5 which would be replacing a Galaxy GeForce GTS 450 and while doing some last minute checks to see if the new card would fit the chassis, I found that this metal L shaped plate at the data output side of Asus card seemed much longer in the images in the product gallery than my own present card's.

If the plate's bottom end (the end which tapers) is longer by a couple of Millimeters, then the Asus card will not fit the chassis.

I found that Galaxy card's L plate's lengh is 12 cm. It seems like a really neat number so I'm wondering if this is a standard with nVidia cards. If so, perhaps the Asus card's L plate is 12 cm as well?

To be more certain of this assumption, I downloaded images of both the cards:
6387106a-444b-4fae-8e56-d6324091f272.jpg

and
UcmPYB1cHoNVjlZl_500.jpg

and then I scaled the images so that the holes in the DVI ports were of the same size and found both the card's L plates to be of more or less the same size.

But I don't want to rely on these assumptions. Given the price of the card it'd suck a lot if it doesn't fit.

So could anybody help me out here. Are all L shaped plate of the same length. At most, it can be 12.3 cm to fit my chassis.

Any help here would be much (very!) appreciated. And I'll provided any other details if it is required.

Thanks again!

Tim

Solution
The plate will fit fine as long as you have two adjacent free slots on the back of the case (since the GTX 780 is twice as thick as the GTS 450).

The card is pretty long and wide though, so make sure that your case itself is big enough.

timAugustine

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014

Hi, thanks for the reply!

If my current card is also standard profile, may I know why you say that the 780 might not fit the case?

timAugustine

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014

Thanks for the reply, Eduello and getochkn!

The height of my current card's PCB is the same as that of nvidia's reference models (both GTS 450 and GTX 780) so would that mean that my current hard isn't one of those modified cards?

I'm sorry I keep asking this question but I didn't anticipate this at all and at the worst, I may have to buy a new chassis.

The plate will fit fine as long as you have two adjacent free slots on the back of the case (since the GTX 780 is twice as thick as the GTS 450).

The card is pretty long and wide though, so make sure that your case itself is big enough.

Solution

timAugustine

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014

So it fits! That's a really good news for me.

I did go through the case and found no obstructions for the width and length of the card. So the discovery of the plate was the bad news for me.

And thanks again for taking the time to reply!