Question Lenovo Desktop PC making strange repeating 'grinding' noise

Cory Compton

Prominent
Aug 11, 2021
My Lenovo Legion Tower 5i has begun making a strange grinding-ish noise during light use and while idling. When I first received the PC, I switched out the power supply with a Cooler Master MasterWatt 750 PSU, but then the PC would consistently make this 'grinding' noise upon startup. Assuming the PSU was at fault, I switched it out yet again with a EVGA SuperNova 650, but now the strange noise has returned but instead of occurring on startup, it's now happening during light use and idling. I've also switched out the graphics card and it has made no difference. It doesn't seem to be affecting the PC's performance or causing any crashes or anything, but the noise is pretty annoying and I'd like to know at least what's going on. The attached link is an audio sample I captured of the noise:

View: https://imgur.com/buSzyRL

Here are my specs:
  • Lenovo Legion Tower 5i with a T560 motherboard
  • Intel Core i5-11400
  • EVGA XC Gaming dual-fan RTX 3060 Ti
  • EVGA SuperNova GT 650 PSU
Please let me know if anyone has any idea what might be causing this, thank you!

Cory Compton

Prominent
Aug 11, 2021
Update: Figured out the problem was my graphics card. Every time the fans spin up it makes that noise. Is this something to be concerned about, and what's the best way to go about fixing it?

TRENDING THREADS