[SOLVED] Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Hot CPU (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H) temperature of 100 degrees when launching apps

Mar 18, 2022
Hi all,

Starting 2 weeks ago, my computer would get really loud on boot and whenever I launch programmes. (Note that this was maybe a week or 2 after swapping my fan out during servicing of my 3 month old Lenovo Legion 5 Pro and I have also installed new software since then) So I decided to check the temperatures of my CPU and GPU whenever the fan gets really loud and it turns out the CPU is spiking really badly -- from 44 degrees to 80 degrees when launching Microsoft Edge, Notion, Spotify and to 100 degrees when I launch Lenovo Vantage. Some additional information would be that my laptop was always on thermal mode and I did not overclock anything, kind of the default settings. Not only did the sudden spikes come in since 2 weeks ago, my benchmark scores for my CPU has also dropped quite significantly from 2477 to 2303 on Novabench.

I am currently still under Premium Care and I'm communicating with a Lenovo technician but he can't seem to find out what's the issue as he just serviced my fan as well.

Wonder if this could be due to the improper adding of thermal paste where there's an air bubble or insufficient thermal paste. If you face a similar issue or know a fix please let me know!

Cheers!

Solution
Hey there,

Is the fan the one that would be close to the CPU as an exhaust? And if it were, and the replacement isn't done correctly, then it could cause these spikes. As could a thermal paste gone wrong scenario.

Sounds like your CPU is throttling a lot because of the fan issue or thermal paste application, which is why your bench scores have dropped.
Hey there,

Is the fan the one that would be close to the CPU as an exhaust? And if it were, and the replacement isn't done correctly, then it could cause these spikes. As could a thermal paste gone wrong scenario.

Sounds like your CPU is throttling a lot because of the fan issue or thermal paste application, which is why your bench scores have dropped.

Solution