Lenovo Says Customers Don't Want Slate/Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hothr

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
I can see the slate PCs taking over where netbooks are now. Casual couch surfing and media playback.
That is what I would want it for.

G

Lenovo/IBM ThinkPads always had a good reputation for quality keyboards. I imagine that people who are used to Lenovo's portable offerings wouldn't want to lose a strong selling point.

G

Personally I would love to have a slate PC. I see it as the perfect device for the living room. Good for pictures, media, browsing, and they tend to look slick to boot. Sure, they're not good for everything, but then netbooks aren't good for everything either. With a netbook you have to either use a mouse (and carry it around with you), or use the touchpad. Personally I think it's a heck of a lot easier to just touch the screen.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
I don't get why people are so attached to physical Keyboards. I have typed emails on touch
screens and it works perfectly. The digital keys will be nearly the same size and they are as senative
as a real keyboard. I love the idea of not haveing an extra keyboard and haveing it built in is just
awsome. It seems like whenever something different comes along people hesitate for awhile before they
even want to try it. Try it and i assure you it's easy to adapt to.

phantomtrooper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
i would buy a netbook before i bought a tablet. a tablet is kind of like a novelty item. sure the touch technology is cool but its far from the easiest to use. i will stick with my mouse and keyboard thank you. oh and i hope the ipad is a falls flat on its face.

fradav4

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
How has no one brought this up? What about keyboards as accessories. Why should having a slate pc mean no physical keyboard? On the go I would use it as a slate PC. If I were in a more comfortable working environment (like on a desk) then I would just connect a physical keyboard to it.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]I don't get why people are so attached to physical Keyboards. I have typed emails on touchscreens and it works perfectly. The digital keys will be nearly the same size and they are as senativeas a real keyboard. I love the idea of not haveing an extra keyboard and haveing it built in is justawsome. It seems like whenever something different comes along people hesitate for awhile before theyeven want to try it. Try it and i assure you it's easy to adapt to.[/citation]

Using multi-keys (shift + key for example) on a keyboard instead of a screen means that your finger has somewhere secure to rest (textured, indented key), whilst the rest of your hand moves about, thus reducing the chance of your finger sliding away and resulting in a error.

Also keyboards are far, far greater for touch typing and speed typing. Not only that, a virtual keyboard doesn't give you the haptic perception you get with a proper physical keyboard. It's this haptic perception which allows people to type 50+wpm (that, and a lot of practice!)

fradav4

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Personally I would rather use a slate pc than a netbook, as long as it had the option to connect a keyboard to it, either via USB or bluetooth.

ern p b

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
It would need to be a touch-screen with a stylus, anyone remember Grafitti? It is a great way for me to enter notes, edit etc.
With tha,. t you really don`t need a keyboard. It has to be rugged, I`m a commercial construction contractor.

I want it to do a couple of things well...

1. Fast boot so i can take notes on the fly.

2. rotate to portrait and function as an e-reader. I`m an avid reader,
it's unthinkable not to have some form of novel or reference material nearby.

3. enough horsepower to do multi-media and spreadsheet/word processing efficently.

4. Be about the dimensions of the e-books I`ve been seeing.

5. Bluetooth for the times you do want a keyboard and mouse, and sync-ing with my cell-phone and wire-less stereo/mic headset.

That's what I'm looking for in a portable.

[citation][nom]Hothr[/nom]I can see the slate PCs taking over where netbooks are now. Casual couch surfing and media playback.That is what I would want it for.[/citation]
Yes, unlike the over sized iTouch...er... I mean iPad a slate PC would be a MUCH better option for media and surfing the net.

rsud

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
Nice self serving poll that essentially goes...
We asked OUR customers who are used to laptops and buy laptops if they would buy something thats not a laptop.

iPad / Slates are for folks who don't have laptops and don't want or don't have the lifestyle spend their time sitting in front of a laptop.

Appears lenovo doesn't care to expand their market to non-laptop users and this is what apple is after. Apple did the same with the iPhone, made a "smartphone" for all the folks who didn't already own smartphones. And this was a vast majority of the market.

For me (a laptop user) I will likely have an iPad floating around.
Instant ON anywhere and anytime I am in the house is compelling. But I also need it to be able to print to a network printer (a recipe, directions, etc). Dunno if this will be available (it isn't on my iTouch).

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]makotech222[/nom]I have the x200 tablet and its pretty darn good tablet PC. I couldnt imagine using it without a keyboard/trackpoint though.[/citation]

I've been very happy with my x200. As enzo said, I too perfer a convertible. It's a slate when I want it to be and a laptop when I don't.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
You can easily type 50 words a minute on a Ipad or other slate device, all you have to do is
try. This perception that a physical keyboard is a must is retarted, it's for those who have mental
blocks about change.

G

Slates without keyboard is good, if you are not typing too much. If you work in any office all communication is through email and a lot of typing is involved.
Just imagine typing and entering data on a form with no keyboard and answering emails in detail.

makotech222

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom]I've been very happy with my x200. As enzo said, I too perfer a convertible. It's a slate when I want it to be and a laptop when I don't.[/citation]

Yeah, and i barely use it in slate mode, unless im taking notes in class (rarely, lol)

m-manla

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I can see usage in one. At first I was against it, but now I can see the possibilities. I think it will be great with Microsoft One Note, and My software like Sibelius for notation.

Status
Not open for further replies.