[SOLVED] Lenovo U430 USB Port Puzzle

miata54

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
A newly inherited U430.
The port I am referencing is right next to the charging port on the right side of the laptop. When I plug in ANY device to this port, I get an error message saying something to the effect " Windows does not recognize this device". If I take the same device and plug it into the other USB port right next to this one, Windows recognizes it and it works. I went to Device Manager in the Control Panel and checked every listing under the "USB Controllers" heading. 7 of them. All said that "This device is working properly". Now , when I plug a device into this port, the device (any device) will show a quick blink of its power LED which indicates to me that power is coming through the port. The blink lasts a mini-second and goes out and then I get the error message. Puzzled as to what is happening here particularly when Device Manager shows no conflicts. Upon further examination, I looked closely at the USB port in question, and noticed just under the USB symbol for that port, there is a battery symbol that does not appear on the other USB port next to the port in question. What does the presence of the battery symbol under the USB symbol indicate? Looks like their is a difference in functionality between the two ports. Am I correct? Appreciate your thoughts.

Solution
Its always on usb, meaning you can charge your devices by it even when laptop is shuttdown or power cable is plugged off (charging from battery)

You could try to go bios and disable (aways on USB) there , f10 to save.

CHeck the pins closely on the USB, seems normal ?

If that doesnt work you could try updating latest bios from manufactor site (lenovo) just find it by your EXACT model number, when doing bios update make sure to have atleast 50% battery charge and power cable plugged in. Disable firewall until next boot and continue with the bios update
Its always on usb, meaning you can charge your devices by it even when laptop is shuttdown or power cable is plugged off (charging from battery)

You could try to go bios and disable (aways on USB) there , f10 to save.

CHeck the pins closely on the USB, seems normal ?

If that doesnt work you could try updating latest bios from manufactor site (lenovo) just find it by your EXACT model number, when doing bios update make sure to have atleast 50% battery charge and power cable plugged in. Disable firewall until next boot and continue with the bios update

Solution