Lenovo's ThinkPad X230T Tablet PC, Tested And Reviewed

Status
Not open for further replies.

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
The problem I see with the X-T series Convertible tablets though, is that for the same price I can purchase a X230 and a Thinkpad Tablet and still have money left.

I can imagine a market for it, but once the Thinkpad Tablet 2 launches with Windows 8, I'd say there market would grow even smaller. just my 2 cents :)

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Hmmm interesting to see the A5 just about manage to keep up with the two year old Atom N450.

Anyway, Tom's: X1 Carbon review please! :D

Read that its trackpad is best-in-class for a Windows laptop.

Zetto

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
These machines should come with the leather sleeve included, it really comes into it's own in the sleeve.
I've carried an older model around all day for years, the battery lasts 8 hrs easy with a good power profile setup and intermittent use.
OneNote is gold on it.
My users often borrow it just for it's presentation benefits as well.
This new model will shine with Win 8.

As a past owner of the IBM/Lenovo Convertible I very rarely used it as a 'Tablet.' However, with Windows 8, and I don't like Windows 8, you'd probably use the 'Tablet' mode a lot more.

I use an HP EliteBook Mobile Workstation and have little desire to go back to the Tablets.

Originally I wanted folks to be able to 'sign contracts' out in the field, but in practice Paper wins.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Lets see:
Big, thick, heavy
Ugly
Crappy battery life

When you think about it I could:
Buy an Asus Zenbook 1080p for $999
Google Nexus tablet for $199
Both combined would be as thin and light (or thinner/lighter) than this lenovo contraption while offering superior battery life and screen quality (at least on the ultrabook).

This product just seems like a fail.

G

cknobman - you're really not the target market for this thing. They're fantastic for health care, home health, etc.

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]Lets see:Big, thick, heavyUglyCrappy battery lifeWhen you think about it I could:Buy an Asus Zenbook 1080p for $999Google Nexus tablet for $199Both combined would be as thin and light (or thinner/lighter) than this lenovo contraption while offering superior battery life and screen quality (at least on the ultrabook).This product just seems like a fail.[/citation]

From your post, I'd say you've never really used a IBM Thinkpad before.
The Thinkpad lines were never meant for normal consumers like you. If you've compared to built quality as well, the Thinkpads, especially the T and W series are wonders.

and unlike the ZenBooks or Macbooks......you can step on them and the hinge will be able to stand it.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]From your post, I'd say you've never really used a IBM Thinkpad before.The Thinkpad lines were never meant for normal consumers like you. If you've compared to built quality as well, the Thinkpads, especially the T and W series are wonders.and unlike the ZenBooks or Macbooks......you can step on them and the hinge will be able to stand it.[/citation]

Actually I've used ThinkPads a lot as I am a software developer. Two of my last 4 jobs issued them to the developers as their primary workstations. ThinkPad build quality, usability, design are all top notch for business users.

My comment was in response to the way this article was phrased. This article was not necessarily written in the context of a business user and actually was slanted more towards personal use and its ability to replace a tablet and laptop combo while traveling.

In that context I do see this product as a fail.

I thought it was common knowledge that Acer and Compal have Trinity Win* Tab-hybrids coming out next month -- may even be articles on Toms about it.

I can't really recall but pricing was something "less than $900" with Brazos II models substantially less.

Zetto

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]Lets see:Big, thick, heavyUglyCrappy battery lifeWhen you think about it I could:Buy an Asus Zenbook 1080p for $999Google Nexus tablet for $199Both combined would be as thin and light (or thinner/lighter) than this lenovo contraption while offering superior battery life and screen quality (at least on the ultrabook).This product just seems like a fail.[/citation]

Being as they've been selling them for 7+ years, "fail" seems to be a strange word to use.
I guess the Surface Pro may be a contender in this product space, but neither of your alternatives have the functionality of this "contraption"
"ugly?" Really?
You see that as being a pass / fail for usability / productivity?
Or have you been sucked in by the (cool) apple "us / them" marketing BS like so many others?

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Wow, take away the standard Lenovo styling and its almost a dead ringer for my old Toshiba Tecra M7 from 2006.

We have moved on a long way......

With these you tend to buy them for the tablet side of things but then find after a couple of days you just don't bother and wish you had bought a proper laptop in the first place.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Have long loved ThinkPads. My first laptop was a ThinkPad. They will literally take almost any beating and keep going. Lovely machines. Unfortunately, in terms of price and spec I have ended up gravitating away from them.

Zetto

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
[citation][nom]daglesj[/nom]With these you tend to buy them for the tablet side of things but then find after a couple of days you just don't bother and wish you had bought a proper laptop in the first place.[/citation]

Only if you never really needed a tablet, with it on my fore arm and a bar code scanner I can do an inventory audit in a few minutes, with a laptop it's a nightmare, dropping it is a distinct possibility.
Taking notes on the fly around the office isn't happening on a notebook.
Doing detailed infrastructure sketches isn't happening either even with most "modern" tablets.
You can carry this with both hands free when necessary.
Heavy? that's just not my experience with it.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I am looking to replace my LE1700 tablet PC, but this Lenovo is not the one. That screen resolution is a huge downgrade from the 1440x1050 I have now. The battery life is better, but 2 hours is still too short. The stylus is a critical feature and it's good to see it represented well here. Sorry, try again Lenovo. Maybe next time.

G

i'd like to see a Windows 8 run on such devices to let Readers know if the device will work correctly in case of an upgrade..

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Having used such convertibles before... the problems shown on this latest model is the same as it always and kept them a niche product.

- Too expensive ($1100 is nothing - they use to sell for $2000+), 3~4lbs, limited battery life 1-2hrs, WIndows XP, etc. When it came time to upgrade at a company I replaced all convertibles with normal Thinkpads. They were rarely ever used in tablet mode... so less was spent for more reliable and bigger screen notebooks.

Hence, the $500 iPads from 3 years ago did what MS could not.... sell a tablet system that people WOULD BUY.

BTW: All the guys who have Thinkpads at work (I own two ThinkPads) - we all have iPads.

This 2002 era design was never good at either job. A $1000 slate from Samsung or Asus would be better.

Shinobi_III

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
[citation][nom]serhat359[/nom]Ctrl+Alt+Del as a hotkey!? Good thinking.[/citation]
Domain servers generally require the PC to be set up to use C+A+D to login ;)

G

I use this in class for taking notes in onenote and is perfect for me!
Paperless society means I get all my handouts electronically and submit assignments online now. Great tool for learning.

daveg_22

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
I was waiting for the anti-iPad comment and wasn't disappointed. I use and enjoy Lenovo laptops but to suggest this is a good tablet is a bit far fetched. Creating content, website design and even light programming is both possible and preferable on an iPad without a stylus or keyboard. Dictation is getting better. The use of MS Word is less important because most of what create is destined for the web.
Windows is in trouble. MS office is in trouble. Period.

daveg_22

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
I was waiting for the anti-iPad comment and wasn't disappointed. I use and enjoy Lenovo laptops but to suggest this is a good tablet is a bit far fetched. Creating content, website design and even light programming is both possible and preferable on an iPad without a stylus or keyboard. Dictation is getting better. The use of MS Word is less important because most of what we create is destined for the web. Cloud editors are getting much better and allow for better version control and collaboration.

I've never used on of these convertible devices but they seem a very niche product.

G

I have always questioned the practical nature of a duel purpose laptop/tablet. Because as I see it people tend to buy tablets for basic access and that's all they need. Those that buy a laptop need a laptop and tend to buy a laptop. Not a hybrid that costs more. In fact if I did want to have both I would not look to a combined product because then if I have issues with one I issues with the other. Having a tablet separate is like having a backup to some extent. I think the whole ideal Apple has that a tablet is a separate piece of hardware and requires a separate OS is correct. I think Microsoft is compromising too much just as a laptop/tablet is a compromise.

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
I thought tablet PCs were gone because whenever I searched for one, I only found tablets. I have many teacher friends and family that want a product like this. Even students can benefit depending on the course/subject and classroom environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.