arandomguy

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2005
Hey guys, I recently posted about a power supply +12V rail reading at 12.9V. After some digging on the internet I found a forum where it was suggested that voltages delivered by the psu cannot be accurately measured by software (either in bios or third party). So to determine what the voltages are we need to use a multimeter. I measured my psu with a multimeter known to be accurate. It turns out that the 12.9V is way off. The true voltage on my +12V rail is very close to 12V (I can't get an exact reading because the one I used is analog). So imho it is definitely useful to keep this in mind.

Duty is Honour, and the Price of Honour is Blood

wizoforb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2005
Very good idea...I happen to have a Voltmeter....I've thought about it but never tried...I think I will now...

ASUS A8V DELUXE
PLEXTOR PX-716SA
AMD 64 +3200
(4) 512MB XMS CORSAIR PC3200 400 MHZ
BFG 6800 GEFORCE ULTRA OC (AGP)
(2) 74GB RAPTORS
(1) WD 120GB
Tsunami Dream Case

thematrixhazuneo

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2005
The only problem with checking it with a voltmeter is that you have no load on the that perticular plug. So it may say 12v but when you hook up load to it ie . cdrom - HD ect. You can get a totally different reading. Unless your measuring while the devices are hooked up and running, that can be deceiving too.

For future reference...

xall

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
No, the way it works is not like what you said. The 12V is regulated by PSU and when the sistem is on (loaded), all the 12V will have the same voltage, because it is regulated by the one same regulator. So say that when you measuring the voltage in 12v molex connector (empty), the 12v in molex connector that attached to your optical drive/hd will have the same voltage, assuming that your PSU has only a single 12v rail.

Dual 12v rail PSU of course is a different thing as each rails have their own regulator and protection. But that is afaik, cmiiw..