Question Lets Figure the Problem whit this Rebooting pc

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 15, 2019
WARNING: This is gonna be long tread,dont go asleep.

I'll write the full STORY arc at the end of this so you can get an idea of what happened better.

BUILD:
CPU:Ryzen 7 1700
GPU:GT 1030
MotherBoard:Asus Prime a320m-k
PSU:Cooler Master
HDD:Toshiba 1TB HDD
RAM: F4-3200C16D-16GVKB

This is the sistem I'll be using:
"PROBLEM:"
"used program"("time until problem")

1.PC REBOOTING:
League of Legend + Groove Music (Min. 15 min - Max. 40 min)
League of Legend + OBS (Min. 6 min - Max. 1 Hour)
League of legend + OBS + Team Speak (15 Min)
League of legend I OBS + Discord (40+ min.)
Minecraft + OBS (20+ min)
Minecraft HEAVY TNT BOMBING TEST + OBS (2 min)

2.SCREEN GOES BLACK,sound still going,voice chat included.FAN GOES FULL SPEED.
Heaven Test MAX settings (40 min)
Dauntless + discord (40 min)

NOTHING HAPPENS WHEN:
Google Crome
Discord
Any Kind of Video
Heavy Editing and Rendering.
Uploading and downloading for long period of Time
Copying and pasting large amount of file for long period of Time.
STRESS TEST PASSED:
Intel Burn Test 10 turn max settings (no temp. record)
AIDA64 Extreme test for everything for over an hour (64 C Highest temp)
OCCT: GPU tst for over an hour,(highest temp 64 C).PSU test for 15 min.
Windows implemented RAM testing
Memtest86 booting USB first 4 test.

So lets see how my pc started rebooting and what I did after:
STORY arc:
Since my old pc was 10 years old,it's PSU was dead,I bough an ADJ(italy brand psu,shitty 20 euro one) and used for a while,but since I haad to change the HDD already since it was broken and it being 10 years was really laggy etc(15 fps in lowest League of Legend settings),I decided to maybe change,summer.But I got everything around november-december.

NEW PARTS:
-Ryzen 7 1700 : I bought this in China,but I didnt know anything about pc,so I overestimeted my budget.
-Ge Force 1030 1GB Silent : After coming back in Italy I bough this one from Amazon.
-Asus Prime a320m-k : Same as above

I kept the hdd and PSU(probaly the worst decision this year,maybe 2nd but you get the point),
My pc was rebooting/restarting even before I updated my pc and I tought it would be fixed after finishing the new Build,

SPOILER:I was wrong,I couldnt be more wrong than this

So basically my pc kept rebooting,when I used the combo LoL + OBS,or simply opening Minecraft(dont judge me for the games I'm old school).
After reseaching in the net I bought a new PSU(Still Italian Brand,I wonder why I got this stupid).

NEW PAR(The shop was quite a long journey and I had a lot of fun in the way there,just here to make this less depressing):
ITEK ATX 550
TOSHIBA 1TB

Replaced the PSU and all thaat crap
I installed clean Windows to the New HDD Because I didnt haave the space for 2 HDD and the old one was too small(I have a yt Channel and need alot of space for ll the video).
Reboot Still didnt stop,at this point I started to get annoyed and proabaly where I staaaarted to get stress out(I actually have panic attaack when my pc reboot now,just to let you know how much this problem been affecting me).

So I did some more Research Online and Updated my Graphic driver whit NVIDIA official site and used fast installation GeForce but couldnt quite find other drivers.
I started to think that it waas the power Cord that was broken,so I switched it out and for half a day nothing happened.

I let this go for some time(a week or 2)since I was experiencing depression and didnt leave my bed or play any game,but I did watch video and no reboot recorded in that(to this day)
I tried to update my BIOS.I picked the wrong file and the bios FROZE.
After a while I restarted it and picked the right file.
From this point on my MOUSE and ETHERNET LED wont close(ERP tried) I updated it to 4207 ver. but whit no result.

After I started to play again yeah,it didnt resolve itself and I decided to buy a new PSU after some suggestion in a microsoft tread,so I got a Cooler Master MWE 650 Bronze(current one).
Yeaha this one didnt work either so I got even more depressed and stopped gaming for more weeks(and developed panic attack whenever the screen goes black).
But I've been feeling better these days and started to try and find another way to solve this.

I made another clean installation of windows whitout keeping ANY files,Downloaded ONLY the driver I needed from the Nvidia pack and found the MotherBoard chipset Driver.
After this I did Multiple Test:
RESULT:
CPU:whit intel stress test for 1 hour aand another one I cant remember. NO PROBLEM FOUND.
GPU:This one is strange,whit Heaven Benchmark(been watching lot of linux to understand)
My pc screen went Black for the first time and it just stayed this way,I had to reboot manually.
OCCT:NO PROBLEM
HDD: S.M.A.R.T. no Problem.
RAM: I had some windows's program for memtesting,I'm gonna try memtest86 today and see if there are problems.

Then I made a clean installation of the chipset drivers + NVIDIA PACK again.
Now its today and I am even more stressed because the writing sistem is red ALL the time aand I cant edit this properly.

Last edited:
Sorry, I must have read it wrong or mixed up info from your thread with another. I'm just leaning on GPU from blackscreens, ect. and you mentioned gaining stability at least temporarily from lowering clockspeeds and power settings. This in itself should never be necessary from a normal functioning GPU, unless purposely trying to undervolt or bring down temps. It could be PSU related, but you mentioned replacing once already, and having 2 bad units seems unlikely. UEFI the latest version? Need an updated list of what you have tried so far in summary. Losing track of data collected.

Feb 15, 2019
Sorry, I must have read it wrong or mixed up info from your thread with another. I'm just leaning on GPU from blackscreens, ect. and you mentioned gaining stability at least temporarily from lowering clockspeeds and power settings. This in itself should never be necessary from a normal functioning GPU, unless purposely trying to undervolt or bring down temps. It could be PSU related, but you mentioned replacing once already, and having 2 bad units seems unlikely. UEFI the latest version? Need an updated list of what you have tried so far in summary. Losing track of data collected.
I have bios not eufi,I'll be getting the new 4406 ver. and see if anything change(MB asus a320mk).
I've tried to update drivers(I've got them from the official site and been keeping them updated since then),I did a clean windows.
My old PSU(cheap italian brand)had only 250-300W so I changed it to the current one(coolermaster 650W,it still has warranty till next year)
And for last I underclocked whit afterburn since 2 weeks ago,it was -100 at first but now it wont do the same unless lowered to -400.

QUESTION:
Could my old bad PSU broken the gpu or it was bad to begin whit?
I've got some thermal paste on the MB(behind the pcI slot)and ran my pc,I cleaned it after realizing it was there 1 mounth after,could this be breaking something?

HERE I HAVE SOME OTHER INFO:
Reboots happen only whit gpu stressing activities like gaming,rendering 1080p video for some hours is perfectly fine.

NO small dump or blue screen even when set..

It could go for 40+min originally whitout problem,then it started to degrade quickly and now it will reboot under 10 min whitout underclocking,bringing down the power limit seems to gain some exxtra minutes too.

Event 41,I did some reaserch and it indicates hardware problem(windows event viewer).

I did memtest bootable file,intel stress test for cpu around 10 rounds extreme,OCCT all test max settings and heaven bench mark..
ONLY problem in heaven bench mark where the screen would go black,now it will directly reboot(thinking its because I have the auto boot in windows now).

Last edited:
OK. Thank for the update. I'd try the update first as you mention to 4406. Clean install of OS as well as official drivers from board vendor are also normal procedure. For questions, yes a bad/faulty PSU can damage components if voltage varies wildly out of spec, ect. Though this itself would seem like a rare event, usually it's reboots,shutoffs,power up, and BSODS to some degree that are symptoms of PSU failures. For a PSU to damage a component would usually be from a combination from a low quality power supply and some form of power spike/surge in your utility supply or a brownout. Thermal compound, at least most these days, are non-conductive. Not sure what type you are using, but this "shouldn't" be a problem, but I can't say I've heard of that happening this way to someone before.

Given you symptoms, it still seems to either be GPU or PSU related. You mention no BSODs, which seems to be a straight cutoff of power vs. an error the OS detects and normally would reboot to correct. It seems at this point you need to replace one or the other to figure out where the problem lies. Your current symptoms lean more towards PSU given updated info. It seems what you stress ONLY CPU things work fine, but when you game and run heaven bench for example, it's maxing GPU and CPU to varying degree as well. 1080P vids on Youtube aren't really stressful on modern hardware for example.

Feb 15, 2019
OK. Thank for the update. I'd try the update first as you mention to 4406. Clean install of OS as well as official drivers from board vendor are also normal procedure. For questions, yes a bad/faulty PSU can damage components if voltage varies wildly out of spec, ect. Though this itself would seem like a rare event, usually it's reboots,shutoffs,power up, and BSODS to some degree that are symptoms of PSU failures. For a PSU to damage a component would usually be from a combination from a low quality power supply and some form of power spike/surge in your utility supply or a brownout. Thermal compound, at least most these days, are non-conductive. Not sure what type you are using, but this "shouldn't" be a problem, but I can't say I've heard of that happening this way to someone before.

Given you symptoms, it still seems to either be GPU or PSU related. You mention no BSODs, which seems to be a straight cutoff of power vs. an error the OS detects and normally would reboot to correct. It seems at this point you need to replace one or the other to figure out where the problem lies. Your current symptoms lean more towards PSU given updated info. It seems what you stress ONLY CPU things work fine, but when you game and run heaven bench for example, it's maxing GPU and CPU to varying degree as well. 1080P vids on Youtube aren't really stressful on modern hardware for example.
By rendering I meant editing the actual video.

So the only way to know is to change the gpu or psu?
Or something else?

Feb 15, 2019
At this point, I don't think there is any other way to test. You've done clean installs, Memtest, and other CPU related benchmarks. When you mean rendering, is that at full GPU speed, or with negative offsets?
Editing I meant editing video,NOT rendering.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRL-MxFp2olgHym49fWNfrg
Maybe you are right about the PSU,just playing game(gpu heavy) does not usually cause reboot(altought heaven bench mark does?),but recording while playing does,which is CPU and gpu heavy.
Do you think its time to warranty the psu?

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019
At this point, I don't think there is any other way to test. You've done clean installs, Memtest, and other CPU related benchmarks. When you mean rendering, is that at full GPU speed, or with negative offsets?
I noticed something strange,if I stay silent my pc wont reboot,but if I go into a voice chat,the more people there are inside it,the more I noticed that my pc reboot.
What do you think?

Feb 15, 2019
if I stay silent my pc wont reboot,but if I go into a voice chat,the more people there are inside it,the more I noticed that my pc reboot.
Been away from forums a few days. Any update on this?
If I go into a voice chat ,the more people there are inside it,the more my pc reboot.
in 2 it reboot after an hour
in 3 its 40 min.
in 4/5 its 10-15 min.
This should rule out the gpu right??
I dont think the voice chat has anything to do whit the gpu.

Feb 15, 2019
Very odd, still. The more people the more system resources are used and system strain/power consumption.
Thats what i tought isnt it a bit too much?
Counting that I can play for hours alone sometimes.
Do you think I can underclock my cpu?(ryzen 7 1700)
and see if its the consuption fors ure so i can rma.

I asked someone I know he just insisted that its a software problem,even after I told him that I already had both a clean reistall and a dvd formatting.
Do you agree?

Feb 15, 2019
Unlikely software from fresh OS installs, and no overclocking. You could try to undervolt, ect. but not sure without extra parts to test to solve problem.
so i just did a final thing before buying new parts.
I opened my gpu and checked the thermaal paste,it was still in good shape,but was too little so I removed it and reaplied it.
When I removed the thermal paste it was hard at the edge and I used a bit more force,thinking it was paste,but it was some metal thingy that surrounded the gpu,did I damaged something?
Cant seems to find anything about them.

Anyway I just tried a test too and it lasted a mere 30 sec.whitout underclock,it was 5min before its getting way worse.
Something is detiorating and its going fast,before in underclocking I could go for hours in full voice chat,recording etc. just 3 weeks ago,now if I play whit 3 peoples it reboot in under 40min.
So now its buying time,I refuse to go to any computer store since they'll not believe me when I tell thhem I can do a clean windows install and just reset the hdd and I cant affort to lose all the file,so doing the test myself means getting a new part,still sure that PSU is the most lkely?

Feb 15, 2019
Seems likely PSU or GPU, though if I recall more PSU at this point. Need either PSU or GPU to find out for sure.

After some time off of this,I now am back and I just remember that my PSU had burnt smell when using sometimes.
Because of this I'm now fissed about gfetting a new PSU(since warranty whit amazon is not working).
I went into a PSU calculator and they are giving me a PSU wattage range from 400W to 600W.

Desktop MB
cpu: AMD 7 1700
gpu: gtx 1050
DDR4 8 GB x 2
hdd 3"5
ssd <150GB
2 gaming mouse and 1 gaming keyboard

I think this tread should be over after I buy the PSU thanks everyone.
I just had a tought,is it possible for the MB to be damaged in someway from the old PSU and it will reboot,its the cheapest components so be able to change that will be the best for me.

Last edited:
A burnt smell isn't going to be a good thing. For damage, yes a faulty/failing PSU can damage components, but this would most likely break the component all together. Better quality PSUs that have an issue would themselves break, but generally not damage other components from specialized circuitry,OCP, and other protections in their design.

Feb 15, 2019
A burnt smell isn't going to be a good thing. For damage, yes a faulty/failing PSU can damage components, but this would most likely break the component all together. Better quality PSUs that have an issue would themselves break, but generally not damage other components from specialized circuitry,OCP, and other protections in their design.
I've read else where that a damaged motherboard can also cause reboot,could it be my case?
My psu before was only 20 euro,cheap shit.

I also just swapped my old gpu in and no reboot but since its a AMD radeon 7540(18W) its not going to help in diagnosing for me right?