News LG OLED TVs Rival Big-Screen Gaming Monitors With New G-Sync Compatibility

"G-Sync Compatibility" is effectively no different than FreeSync as there is no hardware module involved. And those TVs already have FreeSync as they are HDMI 2.1. nVidia cards have of course been able to do FreeSync since the January driver.

Looks like LG finally opened their new inkjet OLED panel printing factory in China a couple weeks ago. Probably will continue to get South Korean panels in the US though, due to tariffs.

Last edited:

eldakka1

Honorable
Dec 24, 2018
"G-Sync Compatibility" is effectively no different than FreeSync as there is no hardware module involved. And those TVs already have FreeSync as they are HDMI 2.1. nVidia cards have of course been able to do FreeSync since the January driver.

Looks like LG finally opened their new inkjet OLED panel printing factory in China a couple weeks ago. Probably will continue to get South Korean panels in the US though, due to tariffs.

The LG TVs do not support Freesync. They support HDMI 2.1 VRR, and since there are no AMD HDMI 2.1 Graphics cards out there, there is no way to practically test whether the LG TVs VRR actually works with AMD GPUs (this article is confirmation that it works with Nvidia G-Sync). While theoretically an AMD GPU with Freesync should be able to use HDMI 2.1 VRR, since there is no such beast - a HDMI 2.1 AMD GPU - it's a moot point really.

If you plug in a current HDMI < 2.1 AMD GPU into an LG TV, the TV runs in the same HDMI mode as the attached GPU, which means no 2.1 VRR.

I was going to buy a 65C9 a couple months ago to replace my 55B6. But then, as now, I have yet to see any positive confirmation that VRR works with current generation AMD GPUs. No one has admitted to have seen it working, whether consumers, review sites or LG itself. I'll wait on such confirmation before forking over several thousand dollars on a new TV (well, monitor with a built-in FTA tuner really ;) ).

TRENDING THREADS