LGA1156-if I buy I5 750, will there be a future wortwhile upgrade?

jamesrwright

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
I am thinking about buying an I5 750-I was wondering if I go with the Socket 1156, will there be a valid future upgrade for this socket or will I basically be buying the board for the one processor? I would not want an upgrade if it only offered an incremental increase i.e 860 or 920. Any future offerings going to use the 1156?

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Perhaps, maybe and probably.

Always a hard question to answer.

But the chances are good as it seems to be the mainstream socket for Intel.
(also the 920 is on that other socket... 1366 I think)

dna708

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Depends, if you need to upgrade in less than 2 years, it's not worthwhile but chances are you'll be able to keep the CPU for a good 3-5 years (in terms of reliability and relative performance). This all just means you probably won't upgrade since it'll be good enough to last a few years and by the time you do decide to upgrade, it'll be more worthwhile to just build a whole new system.

dpaul8

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
You should definitely go with the X58 motherboards and 1366 socket if you want to upgrade your processor. Intel has already anounced that they are releasing the new Gulftown six-core processor for the X58 motherboard sometime this year. If you buy a Socket 1366 / X58 motherboard today, you can upgrade to the new six-core processor in less than a year. It only costs $999 for this new processor.

Or, you could buy a i5-750 / P55 system now for about $1000. In three years, you could sell it (or use it for a HTPC) and build a state-of-the-art P65 computer for about $1000, and still come out ahead moneywise.

Intel comes out with a new processor platform every two to three years. Your much better off just moving to the new platform rather than paying a premium to upgrade your processor.

jamesrwright

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007

My other choice would be an AMD AM3 Board-I think the Phenom II would be plenty fast for all I use it for. It's not really about speed I can use-it's just speed I want to have. I mostly use my computer for E-mail, Multimedia Playback, some gaming-still playing Battlefield 2-will definitely be playing BF3 when it comes out later this year.

jamesrwright

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Actually I am just replacing the motherboard in my HP Media Center-everything else is fine in terms of storage-I have multiple external USB Hard Drives that back up my media. The 500 GB Internal Hard Drive is fine-and so are the optical drives.
I am looking to spend no more than $400 including memory. I already have replaced the original power supply with a 550 W one.

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
The I5 will have no CPUs with more than 4 cores or any new architecture. Check Intels most recent roadmap for proof. LGA 1366 might have an upgrade to Sandy Bridge (new arch) which comes it q1 2011 (its been pushed back). The AM3 socket also has an upgrade to Bulldozer (new arch) which comes in either late h2 2010 (according to AMD, now) or most likely q1 2011. Both Sandy Bridge and Bulldozer are 32nm.

P.S: Oh yeah, 1366 also will have the 6 core i7 h1 2010 and AM3 will have the 6 core Thuban in h1 2010.

EDIT: The reason i said 1366 might have an upgrade to Sandy Bridge is b/c I don't know if Intel confirmed this or not.

AMW1011

Distinguished

Not so, Intel has only stated the release of the $999 Gulftown. You mean to tell me Intel won't release ANY budget 6-cores? The Roadmaps are up for change and only list what Intel wants them to. If AMD's 6-core does well at a low price point you better believe a budget version will be quick to come out.

Chad Boga

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
I doubt that the 1156 platform will have anything worth upgrading to, come out beyond what is already available today.

So if you were to get an i3 or i5, then perhaps Intel will later on release a i7quad at 3.33Ghz or so you could upgrade to.

I suspect that Sandy Bridge will need a new socket.

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009

Chad Boga, I have to admit I completely agree with this. :D

AMW1011

Distinguished

LGA 1156 will get the same thing LGA 1366 will get, 32nm quads. The difference is that LGA 1366 will get an extremely overpriced 6-core processor that is useless for almost all desktop users.

So yeah, unless you are excited about 32nm quads then neither socket will bring anything all that amazing.

notty22

Distinguished
Question: LGA1156-if I buy I5 750, will there be a future wortwhile upgrade?

You buy a 2x pci 2.0 slot 1156 board now to go with your 200 dollar I5 750 , which is already faster than anything AMD has.
This will allow you to go crossfire ATI gpu's or SLI Nvdia's gpu's in the future.
Which AMD boards can't do.

I notice hyperthreading is being talked about alot with the new intel dual cores by AMD and Intel fans. That option is available to you right now with the 1156 -860.
I don't know , but if I buy a car, I worry what this one has. Not my next purchase.
The roadmaps are a non issue to how your going to use your computer you purchase today.

Chad Boga

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

Intel don't have 32nm Quads on their roadmap for either socket at the moment. Sure that might change, but Sandy Bridge is meant to be the only 32nm Quad that Intel will be releasing.

I suppose that in 2011 when Sandy Bridge comes out, that Intel could release 32nm Quads for LGA1156 & 1366 like they have released new SKU's for Socket 775 in the last 12 months with the E6300, but I don't think they will be releasing any 32nm Quads that will be significantly faster for those sockets, than what we have today. Thus not making it much of an upgrade path in effect.

AMD aren't putting any great pressure on Intel in this segment, so I doubt that Intel will worry too much here and be putting their resources behind Sandy Bridge.

Now if Sandy Bridge gets delayed significantly, then Intel might start releasing worthwhile 32nm Quad upgrade options for the 1156 and 1366 platforms.

notty22

Distinguished

You run what you brung , and hope you brung enough !

I'm a drag racer, also.

AMW1011

Distinguished

Oh so you are in the inner circle of Intel now.

Either way anyone who says 32nm quads aren't going to be released on LGA 1156 is just disillusioned. Intel is not going to invest millions into a chipset just to let it die out. What we may see is a larger disparity in price between the LGA 1156 and LGA 1366 chipsets with the budget and mainstream processors hitting LGA 1156 only to squeeze more money out of the LGA 1366 crowd, but even that is guessing.

AMW1011

Distinguished

Bad example, most parts can be modified easily for hot rods.

Now tuners, that is a very restrictive hobby if you have the wrong car, unless you have a Honda Civic or a Nissan Skyline.

Chad Boga

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

Nothing I have read suggests that they are going to do that, so whilst it is possible, I would see it as very unlikely. You are of course free to have a different view, but please try and not to shitty your pants whilst having that view.

Either way anyone who says 32nm quads aren't going to be released on LGA 1156 is just disillusioned. Intel is not going to invest millions into a chipset just to let it die out. What we may see is a larger disparity in price between the LGA 1156 and LGA 1366 chipsets with the budget and mainstream processors hitting LGA 1156 only to squeeze more money out of the LGA 1366 crowd, but even that is guessing.

I don't think people are ruling out that Intel might release a 3.2Ghz or 3.3Ghz Lynnfield Quad on LGA 1156, but that isn't going to be a cost effective upgrade from an i5-750 or i7-860 for most people. Maybe if you are into overclocking in a big way it could be feasible.

AMW1011

Distinguished

You haven't seen anything that suggests either way, so it is very unlikely that it will happen?

What do you mean by a 3.2 GHz or 3.3 GHz quad? You mean a 32nm 3.2 or 3.3 GHz quad? A 45nm quad at those clocks would not make sense, it would cost too much on a mainstream chipset. If you are talking about 32nm quads, then no they wont be a major upgrade over current quadcores, because there wont be for AT LEAST a couple if years.

I have no idea why you have a belief that does not make any form of sense and there is nothing to prove either side except what would turn Intel the biggest profit.

Jan 28, 2019
lga 1156 is discontinued.So You Are better be buying the best lga 1156 cpu you can find.If you have a low budget,take an x3440 or if you can spend a bit more on x3475 or x3480.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Ie7ywJG.jpg

Another nine year old thread.

Closing.
Wolfshadw