Question Lian-Li ST120 fans stuck at max speed ?

Jan 2, 2023
Hello!

A few days ago I built my new build to hopefully last me for some time, the thing is that I bought 2 packs of 3 Lian-Li ST120 fans for case cooling, but once I powered up the computer the fans were stuck at max speed and not being detected by the motherboard.
I have an Asus Prime X670E-Pro and I've got the fans connected to the CHA_FAN_1 connector, I tried having them in the CPU_OPT and CHA_FAN_2 but nothing worked, they are still at max speed.

I've been a few days trying to fix this with no result, any idea to make them appear in bios and stop running like a jet engine?
Thanks!

Jan 2, 2023
those are radiator fans, kinda bad for pc case airflow tbh
anyway, since you already have them, how did you connect all six fans into single mainboard header, Y splitters or fan hub?
With the fan hub yeah
Oh, since they came sold separately I thought I could use them as case fans no problem haha, Maybe I could look into changing them for the uni fans or some corsair fans if they are gonna be so troublesome

With the fan hub yeah
Oh, since they came sold separately I thought I could use them as case fans no problem haha, Maybe I could look into changing them for the uni fans or some corsair fans if they are gonna be so troublesome
am looking at than fan hub, its powered with sata power, to mainboard its 4pin header with only two wires, one wire receives RPM from fan1, second wire sends PWM signal, it might be possible that mainboard fan autodetection turning that header off as +12v and ground are not connected, it should be still possible to manualy set fan header from auto to PWM

Reactions: Honuch
Jan 2, 2023
am looking at than fan hub, its powered with sata power, to mainboard its 4pin header with only two wires, one wire receives RPM from fan1, second wire sends PWM signal, it might be possible that mainboard fan autodetection turning that header off as +12v and ground are not connected, it should be still possible to manualy set fan header from auto to PWM

I finally figured it out!
So it seems they are detected as W_Pump instead of CHA_FAN and they were set for max speed, that's why they were so loud, and they seem to function with the cpu temperature, so I made a curve so that they only go full speed when it's needed haha
I'll probably go with these for now and maybe change to some other fans in the future, like the uni fans sl infinity or Corsair LL

Thank you for your time! :)

Reactions: kerberos_20