Question Lightning struck close, now GPU is messed up

TonyIsntGood

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
Lightning struck near me and caused PC issues. Thought was PSU or Mobo, but after testing I have narrowed it down to the GPU.

The issue:
If I try to use my GPU my computer will boot for a second, show the bios screen in a super stretched resolution. Then my screen will say "recommended resolution 1920x1080" go black and never show anything else. It stays on and lit as if it has a signal, but will not show anything displayed by my computer. I reslotted my GPU in a different PCIE and it did the same thing; however, I was able to login and open CPU-Z before it went black and it did show it as registering my GPU, but the resolution was still stretched and it still went black without being able to do anything else. There is no EZ Debug LED indicator on my MOBO.

Does this seem like the GPU is donezo, or is this maybe salvageable? Buying a new GPU isn't an issue, but I would like to make sure this one is actually done for before spending money.

Thanks!
Specs:
MSI 1060 6GB
Z370 Gaming Plus
Intel I5 8600K
16GB DDR4

poorbugger

Distinguished
Lightning struck near me and caused PC issues. Thought was PSU or Mobo, but after testing I have narrowed it down to the GPU.

The issue:
If I try to use my GPU my computer will boot for a second, show the bios screen in a super stretched resolution. Then my screen will say "recommended resolution 1920x1080" go black and never show anything else. It stays on and lit as if it has a signal, but will not show anything displayed by my computer. I reslotted my GPU in a different PCIE and it did the same thing; however, I was able to login and open CPU-Z before it went black and it did show it as registering my GPU, but the resolution was still stretched and it still went black without being able to do anything else. There is no EZ Debug LED indicator on my MOBO.

Does this seem like the GPU is donezo, or is this maybe salvageable? Buying a new GPU isn't an issue, but I would like to make sure this one is actually done for before spending money.

Thanks!
Specs:
MSI 1060 6GB
Z370 Gaming Plus
Intel I5 8600K
16GB DDR4
And how did you narrow it down to your gpu? Have you tried booting using the integrated graphics only?