[SOLVED] Lightning struck PC boots but doesn't work.

TonyIsntGood

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
Lightning struck near my condo and now my computer doesnt work. The case fans still and CPU fan still turn on, and my GPU initially gets power, but I cant get past that. I plugged my monitors into my Mobo and they dont register at all. My peripherals dont turn on either. When I plug into my GPU my screens register until the GPU turns off. I do not have another station to test components. Does this sound like a Mobo or a PSU issue?

Thanks!
(I am on my phone so sorry for formatting and spelling)

Solution
I found my old PSU and plugged in only the basics. Everything booted properly. I went into CPU-Z and found my GPU wasn't registering. Plugged in my original PSU and same, everything booted properly and CPU-Z showed everything correctly except my GPU. So it would appear my GPU is fried. Oh well, now I know how serious lightning can be even with using power strips.

Thanks everyone!

jasonf2

Distinguished
Lightening is nasty, it causes things to go directions that they aren't meant to go. I would open the case and see if there is a bios reset jumper. If there is look up your motherboard manual and follow the reset procedure. You might get lucky. See if it will post after that.

USAFRet

Titan
Lightning struck near my condo and now my computer doesnt work. The case fans still and CPU fan still turn on, and my GPU initially gets power, but I cant get past that. I plugged my monitors into my Mobo and they dont register at all. My peripherals dont turn on either. When I plug into my GPU my screens register until the GPU turns off. I do not have another station to test components. Does this sound like a Mobo or a PSU issue?

Thanks!
(I am on my phone so sorry for formatting and spelling)
Could be anything. Really.

Saying this coming from a nearby lightning strike last month that took out some very random, unassociated, things.

TonyIsntGood

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
I found my old PSU and plugged in only the basics. Everything booted properly. I went into CPU-Z and found my GPU wasn't registering. Plugged in my original PSU and same, everything booted properly and CPU-Z showed everything correctly except my GPU. So it would appear my GPU is fried. Oh well, now I know how serious lightning can be even with using power strips.

Thanks everyone!

Solution

glennhl

Prominent
Jul 2, 2020
You said you were using a power strip. Were you using one that has Surge Protection? If so, you may be able to get the cost of the GPU covered by the Surge Protector manufacturer, most have guarantees against losing hardware.

TRENDING THREADS