[SOLVED] Limited access to the internet on only one PC

Ethyreale

Honorable
May 22, 2014
For the past month or so I have been having a recurring problem connecting to the internet on my PC. What happens is I will try to browse the web and only be able to connect to google, facebook, youtube, and wikipedia. Other sites will simply time out, and programs that require internet connections, such as discord and steam, will not be able to connect.

Usually, this problem has only persisted for around a half hour before everything returns to normal, however lately it has been almost constant.

I have browsed support forums for similar issues, and tried to fixing it using these methods:
  • flushing DNS and changing them to different servers (Google's DNS servers)
  • netsh int ip reset in command prompt
  • netsh winsock reset catalog
  • Reset network adaptors
None of these have solved the problem, although I had some limited success with resetting network adaptors, as it allowed sites to be reachable, but caused everything to load the extremely slowly.

I used a bootable USB drive of Ubuntu to test whether it was the network adaptor hardware causing an issue somehow, and Ubuntu was able to access the internet just fine. As a last resort, I reinstalled Windows 10, figuring that it would solve the problem, but it still persists.

If anyone has any idea of what could be causing this issue, I'd be more than happy to listen. The specs of my computer and other information is below:

CPU: AMD Athalon X4 760k Quad Core (3.80 GHz)
RAM: 8 GB
Motherboard: Fm2a88x+ (I think)
Ethernet Adaptor: Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Wi-Fi Adaptor: Linksys WUSB6300
ISP: Rogers
Modem: Hitron CODA-4582U

If I've left out anything that would help with troubleshooting please let me know, I'm not very good when it comes to computer problems, so my apologies in advance.

Edit: I should also mention that the internet stability at my apartment has been horrible the past few weeks, and the connection issues usually begin after the internet has dropped and returned. However my other devices (two android phones) seem to be able to connect again fine after the internet drops.

Solution
Does the following link provide the User Guide for your modem ?

https://www.midco.com/contentassets/a8faa9563b6b49e5b244ef7418c1b314/hitron-coda-4582.pdf

Actually a modem/router if I have correctly identified your device.

Anyway, what caught my eye is that you are using a WUSB6300 wireless adapter - correct?

Before booting up feel the wireless adapter. Then boot up and work/game as normal.

Keep feeling the adapter but do so carefully. Determine if the USB adapter gets warm or even hot. Especially after gaming for awhile.

Those adapters tend to fail and getting warm/hot is a sign of problems.

Try using a USB extension cable to move the USB wireless adapter up and away from the PC. Doing so can help in two ways: 1)...

Ralston18

Titan

https://www.midco.com/contentassets/a8faa9563b6b49e5b244ef7418c1b314/hitron-coda-4582.pdf

Anyway, what caught my eye is that you are using a WUSB6300 wireless adapter - correct?

Before booting up feel the wireless adapter. Then boot up and work/game as normal.

Keep feeling the adapter but do so carefully. Determine if the USB adapter gets warm or even hot. Especially after gaming for awhile.

Try using a USB extension cable to move the USB wireless adapter up and away from the PC. Doing so can help in two ways: 1) cooler area away from the PC and, 2) possibly improved transmission and reception.

Which may lead to fewer drops and lessen the need for retransmits. That will also keep the wireless adapter cooler if it is not "working so hard".

Solution

Ethyreale

Honorable
May 22, 2014

Try using a USB extension cable to move the USB wireless adapter up and away from the PC. Doing so can help in two ways: 1) cooler area away from the PC and, 2) possibly improved transmission and reception.

Which may lead to fewer drops and lessen the need for retransmits. That will also keep the wireless adapter cooler if it is not "working so hard".

Thanks, the link does go to the manual for my modem. As for the suggestion about the usb adaptor, I have the same problem when using the ethernet too, so I'm doubtful that its the usb adaptor. I don't have an extension cable but I will try to unplug it and see if that helps the ethernet connection.

Mar 6, 2020
I have noticed this same issue. It started Wednesday and it happens everyday at 3PM - 8PM for roughly 15-20 minutes at a time. To my knowledge nothing has changed on my home network.

TRENDING THREADS