Linux-only PC with small form factor?

digitaldefector

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
I'm a Linux user who would like to start running games on Steam. I'd like to upgrade. I only have two requirements:

Must not come with Windows or any other proprietary OS.
Must have small-ish form factor. Doesn't have to be as small as an EeeBox, but I need to put it in my carry-on luggage from time to time. A full tower is out of the question.

here's a cheap Micro ATX build in a HTPC case wth a half-height 750ti card. The only other possible swap with an inter CPU and Mobo, I'd keep the other parts the same. Its nt super slim, but it is pretty small.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A78M PRO3+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($51.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: PNY CS1111 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda ES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($123.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Rosewill 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $511.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-04 01:38 EDT-0400

digitaldefector

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
I haven't really gamed since the early 90's, then I was really into BF1942 when it came out, but couldn't afford a gaming pc at the time. When I could afford a console I bought a PS3 with a whole bunch of fps and other hit titles. I found fps not as fun to play on a console as they were on my pc, so I sold the console. I've seen some vlogs of space shooter games for steam on youtube, and I think I'd like to get into those types of games. I also like to play some fantasy games in the style of lord of the rings, or like Battle Axe on Sega. Also spatryscupoflinux has a monthly online gaming group that caters to primarly steam games. I will be using the box 90% for developing and research. So I will have a lot of tabs open on my web browers. I forgot to mention I would like to have the option of dual monitor. Thanks in advancded.

I don't have a budget persey, however I would like something that can carry me for a few years, or something that I can upgrade in a few years. ie: a video card expansion. I'm not a elite gamer, I just want to be able to play games at a decent framerate on at least 720p. I don't know much about either of these things mind you when it comes to gaming, so please keep that in mind.

G

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hvBwbv
You could go cheaper, but you'll need to overclock.