Linux Receives 20th Birthday Video from Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
now it would be wonderful if this happens to all the Fanboys/fangirls out there.

imagine a world where Windows and Linux and Apple and Other OS live together in harmony.

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

compton

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I think it would be kinda cool for MS to develop their own linux distro to use beside future Windows releases. Instead of building MS's version of OS X on BSD, you get the option to run a virtualized linux machine, but intergrated into the os. Really, I'd just like to try Microsoft's version of linux.

retrig

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
So.... just like every other site reporting this... Where exactly does it say it's from Microsoft?

"User-submitted video from The Linux Foundation Video Site"

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
The cake is a lie !
The cake is a lie !
The cake is a lie !
The cake is a lie !

But seriously though, Arch Linux and Windows XP get along just fine on my computer. And Virtualbox is a God-sent for a quick ~5 seconds restore/suspend.

On Linux you can rename files with *, ?, " characters, don't have to worry about fragmentation and you don't need an antivirus to slow you down. If you try to delete a file while it's in use, you don't get that stupid error that "the file is being used by another person or program" crap. You can even delete a movie while you watch it, and it will run fine until you close the media player ! Having been a Windows user for a very long time, that feature is just awesome in my book. I've used different Linux flavours as THE main OS on my computer for the past 2 years or so, AND COUNTING.

I suggest you give it a shot. You may just like it. ;)

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]arlandi[/nom]now it would be wonderful if this happens to all the Fanboys/fangirls out there.imagine a world where Windows and Linux and Apple and Other OS live together in harmony.You may say that I'm a dreamerBut I'm not the only oneI hope someday you'll join usAnd the world will live as one[/citation]

I sure as hell hope not. Competition is healthy. I want these companies to be even more pissed at each other and cause one another to innovate more and more.

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]I want these companies to be even more pissed at each other and cause one another to innovate more and more.[/citation]

Would prefer Linux and MS work together towards solid platforms that would take away market share from Apple/MACs.

retrig

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
[citation][nom]sunflier[/nom]Would prefer Linux and MS work together towards solid platforms that would take away market share from Apple/MACs.[/citation]
Yes, please take market share away from Media Access Control.

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
There's a reason people don't use an OS that makes it's source code public... For those of you who don't know what that means, it's like armored cars giving out maps of their routes and time spent at all stops.
And yes, for those who support it, you can't say that there is no security vulnerabilities, neither can Microsoft. But point being, they don't go pulling their pants down in front of everyone EXPECTING not to get shot in the face.

godmode

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]I sure as hell hope not. Competition is healthy. I want these companies to be even more pissed at each other and cause one another to innovate more and more.[/citation]

companies pissed at each other will sue eacher rather than innovate just like the apple vs all major android makers thing thats going on.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
[citation][nom]therogerwilco[/nom]There's a reason people don't use an OS that makes it's source code public... For those of you who don't know what that means, it's like armored cars giving out maps of their routes and time spent at all stops.And yes, for those who support it, you can't say that there is no security vulnerabilities, neither can Microsoft. But point being, they don't go pulling their pants down in front of everyone EXPECTING not to get shot in the face.[/citation]

The under-informed spreading misinformation. Also, 0/5 stars for your horrible analogy.

aww

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
[citation][nom]therogerwilco[/nom]There's a reason people don't use an OS that makes it's source code public... For those of you who don't know what that means, it's like armored cars giving out maps of their routes and time spent at all stops.And yes, for those who support it, you can't say that there is no security vulnerabilities, neither can Microsoft. But point being, they don't go pulling their pants down in front of everyone EXPECTING not to get shot in the face.[/citation]

It's a know fact that Linux has always been, and will continue to be, the safest most reliable operating system ever. Windows will never come close to the security level that Linux has attained.

The reason is quite simple: The source code can be inspected by the world-wide community that supports it.

If you want to compare security vulnerabilities between Windows and Linux, Windows is a clear looser with an unprecedented record of breaches.

aww

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
Years ago Microsoft spent millions upon millions of dollars building a marketing war machine to annihilate a little operating system that was making its rounds over the Internet.

The end result?

Linux, without any marketing or advertising resources now dominates the technological biosphere: Mobile phones, robotics, supercomputers, embedded systems, routers, switches, web servers, navigation systems, and a little thing called the Internet.

No wonder Microsoft now wants to kiss up.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
If I was that penguin I wouldn't eat the cake.

Actually, this has been the reason Microsoft is about a billion times bigger than Apple. MS learned early on, it's better to play nice, and make friends that can help you, instead of attacking everyone else.

Number 1) You are more liked in the industry
Number 2) You can create alliances that can benefit you.

Apple is the antithesis of this model, suing everyone, getting a little ahead of themselves , reminiscent of Apple in the 80's before the fall, and is about to be crushed in the mobile space, as soon as windows 8 comes out.

Good job MS playing the role of the good guy again. You've been the evil empire long enough, let Google, FB, and Apple have at it.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]huron[/nom]It's amazing to me that Microsoft was that hostile to Linux in the first place.[/citation]

linux can do everything microsoft can do, on the os side, but linux is free.

thanks to a tremendous amount of fud, general people dont know about linux anymore.

they did the same crap to opengl, but gl was better for a LONG LONG time. [citation][nom]therogerwilco[/nom]There's a reason people don't use an OS that makes it's source code public... For those of you who don't know what that means, it's like armored cars giving out maps of their routes and time spent at all stops.And yes, for those who support it, you can't say that there is no security vulnerabilities, neither can Microsoft. But point being, they don't go pulling their pants down in front of everyone EXPECTING not to get shot in the face.[/citation]

yea, they exist, but anyone on linux can find them, and write a patch if they want/can on microsoft you had to wait for them to do it, and while the holes are hidden from general public and not exploited they may do noting to patch them till they become a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.