milne

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2001
This is my thinking...maybe I am posting to the wrong list...if so, sorry.
I have 2 HD's, both 7200 RPM, both Masters on their own IDE. If I load W2k on the one drive and load the programs on the partitioned other HD, will my performance increase due to the swapping arangement? As it stands now, I have gobs of programs and the OS on 1 HD with 3 partitions...data is on hte 3rd partiton. Would it make sense to do this?

It probably wouldn't hurt. You may also consider using the second drive as a place for storing backups of your C drive. This can come in handy in the event of bad times...

:cool: <b><font color=blue>The Cisco Kid</font color=blue></b> :cool:

milne

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2001
I have been using the other HD to store backups. I am somewhat leery of backing up to a hard drive though. I also back up to another machine on the netwrok and to CD. As you can guess, I have been caught with a bad backup before.
As far as I am concerned you cannot have enough backups. ;)

Its a good attitude to have, especially for business reasons. Rule of thumb make sure one copy of backups are kept offsite.

Any other backups you care to make are down to your patience and hardware. HDDs are as safe as HDDs. You're hardly likely to lose 2 HDDs at the same time (electrical surges perhaps being the only exception).

I keep my backups on another partition, which isn't safe if the drive goes, but allows me the luxury of a system restore in 10 minutes if I get corrupted files or a virus.

I keep all my 'critical files' on CD and a CD with my original configuration after Windows install just in case.

I do a back-up about once a month and rotate the backed-up data out of the disk every three months.

Like I said, its down to your needs really. If your back-ups are across a network, you should be fine. Best to have a CD handy in case of the unforseen though.

:cool: <b><font color=blue>The Cisco Kid</font color=blue></b> :cool: