Logitech Brings Back Old School With Trackball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]Even if I wanted one... why WIRELESS!?![/citation]
Why wouldn't you? Did you see how long it says that battery will last? I wantz it, and I haven't used trackballs since back in the day.

Bravo to Logitech for revitalizing this market. I know quite a few people who love trackballs but they haven't had any good new ones for awhile.

suisenbenjo

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I know a lot of people that liked the trackballs. A few still use one. I'm even thinking about this. It's no good for gaming but it's nice to lean back and use the trackball sometimes.

motamedn

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]michaelahess[/nom]MS trackballs always sucked[/citation]

I call BS. MS had the single best trackball. The optical trackall explorer. I still use my original one and picked up a second on ebay "just in case". If logitech makes a decent ring/pointer ball trackball, i'll be all over it. I can't stand these thumb ones.

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
I have been using the Logitech Cordless Trackman Wheel for over 10 years, professional and privately, and even with the few different designs there have been, more buttons and such, I have always stuck to it, as I feel it is comfortable and easy on the joints.
Except for the forward/backward buttons on the M570 the design is exactly the same.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
First, logitech isn't just making this for nostalgia reasons or because people have limited desk space as the author claims. Some of my coworkers use super-expensive kensington ones because they prefer the precision and comfort a trackball offers over a mouse (although I disagree with their assertions and would much rather have my G500 on a proper mousepad).

Second, this mouse is absolutely pointless. Your thumb has nil precision compared to your index and middle fingers. There's lots of other existing trackball mice out there that are much better.

I find a trackball easier in FPS because you never run out of mousepad or desk real estate to move it. I'm not great at those games anyway, but at least I can move fairly smoothly with a trackball.
Put a tilt wheel on it, and I would probably buy it on day one, although the extra buttons on that one will certainly cause me to consider it.

G

Finally... a new gaming Trackball. It takes about a week of training, but only the thumb has enough speed for playing FPSes.

Index finger, not!

Moonrise

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]silversurfernhs[/nom]I hear these guys are worse for your joints - so its gonna kill your wrist and joints all in one...[/citation]

if anything it's much better, try and use a little logic before you post hearsay! you can relax in your shoulder and arm when using it, you only have to use your tumb, and you use that just as much when using a mouse, but don't use your wriste etc...
I've used them for the past 15 years, and in general it's a better solution than a mouse (not for games)

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Moonrise[/nom]if anything it's much better, try and use a little logic before you post hearsay! you can relax in your shoulder and arm when using it, you only have to use your tumb, and you use that just as much when using a mouse, but don't use your wriste etc...I've used them for the past 15 years, and in general it's a better solution than a mouse (not for games)[/citation]

I get your point, and don't appreciate your smart-ass remark about my logic, but i'm willing to ignore it due to the fact that uninformed here-say is rectified in a place like this, because of the nature of this site - where others can correct a misunderstanding. If you feel the need to correct someone, you shouldnt use your pent up frustration with misinformed people to do so, for the sake of friendliness of toms hardware.

I've owned them myself and prefer the use of my wrist over the clicking and use of my knuckle in my thumb and other fingers (from other model designs).

Morgan3rd

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I used a trackball for years... I finally switched to a g5, but don't scoff at them! they can be used for gaming quite effectively. Plus I'm sure I would have carpel tunnel if I didn't use it for years.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
The title made me think they had discontinued making these. Which isn't true, because I've had to order several for engeineers. Espicially those with litle desktop area (those that are working on a CNC station, like a Cincinatti Laser, for example).

Looks like I'm going to be ordering a number of these for my guys.

princessolive

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
They should put a trackball on keyboards, with the buttons on the same side as the ball. That would be handy for people who don't like a trackpad.

freiheitner

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
I just bought a couple Trackman Marbles. I love them. I won't buy wireless, though. There's simply no reason for a pointing device to be wireless -- I'm never going to be using it from across the room. Also batteries do run out and wireless gets interference. Wired has none of these issues.

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
For general internet surfing, and even some MMo playing, I still use the microsoft trackball explorer. I never liked trackballs you control with your thumb. I would love for someone to make another trackball explorer.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
A nice design and Logitech make really nice hardware but I have never caught onto the trackball mouse seems clunky/slow/inaccurate to me(esspecially the thumb style). Dont get me wrong I know alot of people out there really like them and this is nice that Logitech finally recongized there still a niche market for them. For me I'll stick with my G500 aswell, you cant really improve on the performance, design and ease of use of a standard mouse in anyway shape or form.

PepiX

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Thumbs up.. I like trackballs more than mice.. (have a lot of both..)

Hope it has 4-way scroll wheel..

megahustler

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Why are they bringing back the IMHO lousy thumb operated ones?

Bring back the Trackman Marble FX, and I'll buy two or three of them, especially if they're wired.

Status
Not open for further replies.