Long Ethernet cable not working but short does for access point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curtis_swan

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016
I have two tp link w8970 routers. I have connected one as an access point. When I test it with a short 1 m LAN cable it works fine. But when I test it with a 50m LAN cable the router doesn't pick up that there is a cable connected. The long cable works fine though because if plugged directly into the pc the internet works. Any idea?

Solution
It seldom is the cable itself unless it was somehow damaged. A option is to buy keystone wall jacks. These are now sold by most home improvement stores and some even have a plastic punch down tool. a small screw driver will also work. These are much simpler for a new person that the crimp on plugs. You would then need some short patch cables on each end.
Well that is certainly weird.

Just to make sure
1m: works for both router-> pc and router -> access point
50m: works for router -> pc but fails router -> access point

Do you have a way to test the cable, it is possible the cable is broken and the PC can auto-correct it, and the access point cant.
Also is this a pre-made 50m cable or a homemade one where you get the bare cable and put the ends on?

Curtis_swan

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016
Hi. Thanks for the reply. Yes the 1m cable tp access point works. The 50m cable to access point does not work. It was made up by a shop for me. So they just cut the length you require and put the heads on. On my other dlink router access point the 50m cable works. But on the tp link only the short cable works and is not picked up when using the 50m

It the AP being powered over the ethernet cable or does it have a external power block plugged into a power outlet.

If the AP used the standard version of PoE (ie 802.3af) that can go to 100 meters. If your AP is using some form of power injector many times these are using a proprietary form of PoE at lower voltages. There are issue going long distance with many of these.

It is extremely common for a cable failure to be a poorly connected end. It will pass the tests with the really cheap meters that just have leds to show the how the pins are connected. It would fail if you used a actual certification meter. Some devices are much more tolerant of marginal cables.

It is in a way better when the pin is completely not connected at least it would be consistent between devices. I am somewhat surprised the shop did not actually test the cable with a meter. Everyone that has made cables knows they get them wrong from time to time.

It seldom is the cable itself unless it was somehow damaged. A option is to buy keystone wall jacks. These are now sold by most home improvement stores and some even have a plastic punch down tool. a small screw driver will also work. These are much simpler for a new person that the crimp on plugs. You would then need some short patch cables on each end.

Solution
Jun 22, 2020
I faced a similar situation. Router -> Router/AP
I tried connection shorter CAT6 cable, it works fine

but when I connected long 35m CAT6, internet stops working. I can see Router/AP light glow for LAN port but it does not connect to internet.

I tested wire with line tester, its perfectly fine. (Just like many complained)

I got away with this issue by just doing a Crossover color code for crimping instead of straight through color code

Try 568b Crossover color code. I learnt somewhere that connecting 2 devices of same type, then its best to use corssover color code. It worked for me

Wolfshadw

Titan
Ie7ywJG.jpg

This thread is almost 3 years old.

Closing.
Wolfshadw

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS