Question Looking at buying a 2060 12GB, but my mobo only supports 4th gen intel processors.

Aug 18, 2022
Can someone let me know how much bottlenecking I can expect from i5 4460, or can someone help me pick a 4th gen CPU that will eliminate/minimise the bottlenecking, as my current mobo only supports 4th Gen.
Thank you, new to builds/upgrades.
Was looking at going for a brand new build but I think I'm going to wait for 4000 series GPUs to come.
(Edit, removed the option of using new mobo as it supports DDR5. Duh)

USAFRet

Titan
You don't want to reduce/eliminate "bottlenecking"...you want to increase performance.

It is very commonly possible, even likely, to increase the "bottleneck" and increase performance.

What GPU do you have now?

Add the 2060. Enjoy.
Later, use that same GPU with a better CPU.
Don't stress over the misunderstood term "bottleneck".

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The best CPU for that generation is the 4790K. You can match the performance of said with a 10th gen plus i3.

If you are set on the purchase, get something with your next build in mind. I would not spend money on a 4th gen i7 unless it was practically free. You should also consider the age and quality of your PSU.

Aug 18, 2022
You don't want to reduce/eliminate "bottlenecking"...you want to increase performance.

It is very commonly possible, even likely, to increase the "bottleneck" and increase performance.

Add the 2060. Enjoy.

I have a GTX 960 haha. Will be quite the upgrade.

Aug 18, 2022
The best CPU for that generation is the 4790K. You can match the performance of said with a 10th gen plus i3.

If you are set on the purchase, get something with your next build in mind. I would not spend money on a 4th gen i7 unless it was practically free. You should also consider the age and quality of your PSU.
I've looked into CPUs and I've found an i7-4790 for pretty cheap, next thing I have been looking into is a new PSU, I have no idea what watts this one is but I dare say it will need an upgrade.

Add the 2060. Enjoy.
To add to this, if bottlenecking causes stutters or other issues you can always increase the resolution and or the quality of the graphics to reduce the strain on the CPU or straight out use a FPS cap for the game itself or from the nvidia driver or 3rd party to reduce the strain on both the cpu and the gpu.

= maybe less performance but better gaming quality(smoother) .

USAFRet

Titan
To add to this, if bottlenecking causes stutters or other issues you can always increase the resolution and or the quality of the graphics to reduce the strain on the CPU or straight out use a FPS cap for the game itself or from the nvidia driver or 3rd party to reduce the strain on both the cpu and the gpu.

= maybe less performance but better gaming quality(smoother) .
Did you mean 'decrease the resolution'?

Did you mean 'decrease the resolution'?
The 2060 will be faster than the CPU ( *more FPS) so you would increase the resolution to adjust the speed of the GPU to that of the CPU.

The issue often is that the CPU hits 100% on a single thread wich then causes windows to neglect everything else until this thread calms down which causes the other threads of the game to be delayed even longer (race condition, I think) , reducing FPS (by increasing resolution) would stop that.

While the term bottleneck is often thrown around without having any meaning, and often it doesn't mean anything, it doesn't mean that it does not have any effect ever, if you only get less performance then who really cares you will update the CPU at some point and get the rest of the performance.