Looking for a good, budget RAID Card

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
I'm working on a project in a little while here, and I'm currently in the planning stages. I need a RAID card that can interface 4 hard drives, preferably via PCI-Express. One key point is that Linux-native drivers would be very nice to have.

I don't know which RAID I'm going with (as I've never made a system utilizing this technology), but I'd preferably like Striping as well as Mirroring, so Raid 1+0 sounds pretty nice. Any other suggestions would be fine though :)

Money is a fairly key factor here, so I'd like to spend the least possible without getting unreliability or poor performance.

Thanks,

- Jesse

adampower

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
I don't understand the application. You want to make a Linux file server? Why not use z-raid (like raid 5 only with some error correction built in)? I think the issue this forum is having is the title 'Good, Budget RAID'.. It seems to me with RAID cards you get what you pay for.

In most cases you should use onboard or software RAID solutions. If you simply need more SATA ports that's a different issue.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007

*Sigh*, I confused the MoBo I was using with another, and thought it didn't have enough SATA ports. Newegg says that the board I'm looking at has 4 SATA Ports, and supports RAID 0/1/5/10.

Thanks for the help (and pointing out the blatantly obvious :lol: ),

- Jesse