Teikoshen

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2001
hi.. i currently have a Matrox G400 max 32mb dh graphics card..

i'm thinking of getting a device that i can play vhs (tapes) on my computer through a VCR, what kind of device is that?

sorry.. i'm completely new to this video in business.. so i have totally no clue as where to start or what sites to look into..

basically i want to be able to play my tapes through my vcr, and input the playback through my computer and display on my monitor.. :p

thanks in advance :)

current set up :

athlon 1ghz
iwill ka266-R
video : maxtrox G400 max 32mb dh
sound : sblive plat
ram : 512mb DDR pc2100

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I Suggest any of the ATI Video In/Video out (VIVO) They will all let you take a composite signal from your VCR and show it on your PC. If you want something a little more advanced, I would suggest you get an ATI All-In-Wonder (AIW) card from the product line , either the 128 Bit 32 MB card, the AIW Radeon, or if you want to spend the big bucks, the 8500 AIW-D. These range in price from $80, $120, and $320.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

Teikoshen

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2001
i was looking at the AIW cards also..
but the 8500 AIW seems alot more expensive..
could you explain abit more of the difference between the 128bit 32mb card and the AIW radeon ?

also.. i'm using winXP pro.. will these cards work?

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
If all you want is the video in, and you are not worried about video out (PC to TV) then get a capture card such as the ATI TV-Wonder. The advantages are that it is cheeper than a 3d/vivo card, is usually of better quality than the combo cards, and (main advantage here) when you upgrade your video card you don't need to upgrade your capture card (and vice versa). You can upgrade your vid card every 6 months and never have to worry about getting a VIVO card.

Capture cards are made by ATI, Pinacle, Matrox and Haupeg, to name a few. Pinacle's seem to be low quality, ATI has driver issues, Matrox has a large product line and Haupeg I know nothing about.

Also, never get a USB capture card, always get PCI. It's a bandwidth issue.

If you do go for a VIVO video card instaed of a seperate capture card, then ATI makes the best quality. Unlike their capture cards, their video card drivers seem to be updated regularly. I would recommend the ATI All-In-Wonder 7500 or All-In-Wonder 8500. Don't get the All-In-Wonder 128 or the All-In-Wonder Radeon(no number) as these are about to be discontinued by ATI.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.