Looking for a WC suitable (full tower?) case.

urian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
After my last computer bit the dust a couple of months ago(thank you very much, frikkin' thunder storm :? ), I've finally decided to build a completely new rig.

I'll be using WC (CPU&GPU blocks, 120.3 rad, T-line) so I want a big case with lots of space. The case I've been looking mostly at is TT Kandalf (there's no major price difference, ca 10€, between Kandalf and Armor here), perhaps with the new 25cm side fan.
Another alternative is the TT Tai Chi. While it's quite expensive, the difference between a Tai Chi and a Kandalf is "only" ca 60€ so it might be worth it.

So, I guess the questions are basicly:
1) Is the Kandalf a good case?
2) Would it be worth it to get the Tai Chi?
3) Are there other, better suited cases for this?

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
if u get a Tai Chi get thermaltakes liquid cooling kit since the tai chi is built to house thermaltakes cooling kit. what is it? like Big water SE or something.

Kandalf + armor good choices. Look at the Gigabyte 3d Aurora(the sidepanel mesh version not window)

then finally Lian Li. look for the big ones

urian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
Thanks for the reply!
I prefer DIY water cooling to kits, especially when the kit is Big Water! :D

The Aurora does seem nice although I don't really like meshs, too much dust gets in. I'll have to check some more reviews on it. Lian Li have some really excellent cases but unfortunately the price often also stands out. Also, how well suited are they for water cooling?

urian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
What would be a good Lian-Li case then that's worth the price?
Also how big would the impact be on air flow matter from using a window instead of meshed side when cooling the CPU and GPU with water?

yarricc

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I would say look at the PC7077b from lian li this thing is HUGE, has massive amounts of space and you can load it up with extra drive racks. Plus as a nice bonus it has expansion card hold downs built into the case so if you want to move it around less worries of a video card coming out of its slot. I just got one of these as an upgrade from my PC65b which is a bit on the small side for all my stuff. I will be moving my computer from one case to the other in the next day or two and can give you some feed back on install.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811112050

yarricc

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Ok just finished installing my system into the new lian li case. Dropped my CPU temps and MB temps 10deg C at idle or just doin net surfing and replying to forums. Plenty of space for whatever you want. No slide out MB tray but I can live without that.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
After my last computer bit the dust a couple of months ago(thank you very much, frikkin' thunder storm :? ), I've finally decided to build a completely new rig.

I'll be using WC (CPU&GPU blocks, 120.3 rad, T-line) so I want a big case with lots of space. The case I've been looking mostly at is TT Kandalf (there's no major price difference, ca 10€, between Kandalf and Armor here), perhaps with the new 25cm side fan.
Another alternative is the TT Tai Chi. While it's quite expensive, the difference between a Tai Chi and a Kandalf is "only" ca 60€ so it might be worth it.

So, I guess the questions are basicly:
1) Is the Kandalf a good case?
2) Would it be worth it to get the Tai Chi?
3) Are there other, better suited cases for this?

Whats wrong with a Coolermaster Stacker or 810?

urian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
As Pengwin wrote, The stacker is meant for air cooling. I'ev come across quite a lot of complaint for using it with water.

The LL 7077 sure looks nice but I could get two Kandalfs for the price of one 7077. While the 7077 might be (probably is) a better case than the Kandalf in many aspects I really doubt that it's worth the price.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Several of the Thermaltake cases (Armor, Kandalf, etc) already have holes at the rear of the case should you choose a solution that involves an external radiator... just makes for a neater looking setup than going out through a metal bracket. I have the Kandalf with a Big Water 745 kit and it works as advertised... I originally thought I would be able to find a way to have the larger radiator installed internally... wrong... it might have been possible had I had access to a metal fabrication shop... as-is I went the external route. Size definitely matters as most pumps still are meant to mount at the bottom of your case. One negative I did have about my Kandalf... none of the screw holes lined up to where I could actually attach my pump to the bottom of my case... it just sits there. No harm... but it does annoy me. I don't think the Armor will have the same problem as it's the Kandalf's light controller that's in the way.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I'm actually in the process of installing a DIY water cooling system in the armor right now. I looked at the stacker 830 but it didn't look as easy to install water cooling and it cost more. The Kandolf has basically the same interior as the armor so it would work as well as the armor (comes down to looks).

With a little case modding you can install a 2 x 120mm rad in the area at the front (takes up 6 of the hdd/optical drive spaces) all you need are a couple of L brackets that you can pick up at home depot, drill a couple of holes in the L brackets and you can screw it in tight.

I have some pictures if you want to pm me with your email address.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
why not take the images then upload them and post direct links to them>

www.quickload.hostingvision.com <-- free image hosting upto 5 meg no BMP, i own hostingvision, its better than imageshack.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I prefer the Coolermaster Stacker. It's go so much room and, depending on which model you get, you can place the powersupply at the top OR bottom.

Room, room, room....so much room to the case.

It's got 5 bazillion drive bays (give or take a bazillion) and is easily modded.

Did I mention that it had alot of room?

Besides the drive bay options, it can handle any WC equiptment you put in it and still have room for cable/wiring hiding.

I have a dual parallel wc system in my stacker (because I am using 2 peltier coolers - one for the cpu and one for the gpu). While I have placed 2 dual 120 rads externally (one on top and one in the back) I do have 2 swiftech 655 pumps, reservoir, CPU, GPU, Northbridge Chipset and Danger Den hard drive waterblocks internally.

There is enough room left for a body!

yarricc

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
currently my temps hover around the 50c mark when just websurfing. Have had them as high as 62 when running sissoft loops

Mephistoteles

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
Well this is my first post here so im goin directly to the point.

I own a Kandalf Case with a TT BigWater cooling solution, its G.. D... Cool! it really worth the money i paid for it ^^ im a really happy user so if it really helps to make ur mind now think in this: i have an Athlon 3000+ 939 working from 35°C to 40°C with no air conditioner at all, just proper air flow so now u can figure how much it does help when u live in Venezuela and having no air conditioner and u still archives those numbers when the wheather temp rises almost to 30° C ^^

I hope it helped ^^

RichPLS

Champion
I have a BigWater 120mm SE and a BigWater 745...
The SE is good, entry level cooling, but the 745 is sweet, with plenty of cooling power... matched with quality parts and connectors... plus a single and a double 120mm radiators...
Priced at $110 to $159... Makes it a deal that can not be beat...