drosehill

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017

drosehill

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017
You didn't mention what your budget is and what your monitor inputs will be, as well as the software/tasks you will tax the system/GPU with but the GPU's you're looking at will work.

Budget: Let's not make that a consideration.

Monitor inputs: Anything digital. HDMI or DP would both be fine.

Use-case / workflow:
"I use my PC for office work — so I don't have any gamer-specific requirements."

drosehill

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017
Hi folks,

As I posted here yesterday, I'm currently scoping out graphics cards for an upcoming six monitor workstation.

My observations so far are:

There are very few cards on the market which have six or more unique outputs. They exist (NVS 810, Radeon RX 5700 XT Taichi X 8G OC+) but options are very limited.
Many people recommend configuring dual GPUs. I'm reluctant to go down this route as my motherboard only has one PCIx16 slot — so given that I'd already have to probably upgrade the PSU, it might be smarter just to build from scratch. I'm also on Ubuntu and — given that I would be using two different GPUs possibly also from two different manufacturers — I'm a little skeptical that this would just work out of the box.
— Another popular approach is buying a card with a few DP / mini-DP outputs and using MST hubs / daisy-chaining them.

My question is this:

What's the most popular approach nowadays — and are there advantages to dual GPU and daisy-chaining DP outputs that I'm missing? In work environments where 6+ multimonitor workstations are the norm (say, trading floors on banks) what approach is typically used?

Just use two cheap GPU which can handle triple displays each. Sticking with the same generation and GPU brand is easiest. Just to clear by GPU brand I mean AMD or Nvidia. Third party brands can be mixed without problem like MSI and Zotac.

Also some GPU have more connectors than displays supported. They just do this to give you options. The Radeon 5700 supports four displays simultaneously.

Reactions: drosehill

drosehill

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017
Also some GPU have more connectors than displays supported. They just do this to give you options.

Oh, man - this is news to me. Where does one find out what the max displays are and whether that differs from the number of outputs?

An any chance you know how many outputs this card can drive - Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC?

Wolfshadw

Titan

drosehill

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017
Multi-view - 4

I saw that, actually, but I thought that "multi-view" was referring to something else entirely:

https://superuser.com/questions/359...-resolution-mean-the-resolution-for-each-moni

In any event, I picked up this DP --> HDMI x 1, DP x 2 MST Hub. I'm hopeful that will allow me to drive three outputs from the DP, which (at 1080P) should be well within its max res.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T8BPZG2/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So if I can get that to work and use the three HDMI ports simultaneously ..... I'll hopefully be able to get my six screens!

drosehill

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017
I'm looking at this GPU from PNY: https://www.pny.com/nvidia-quadro-p620

I'm looking (ideally) for a single GPU that will support a six monitor setup as otherwise (dual GPU) I need a new motherboard so it's going to be an awful lot of work.

The board listed has four mini-DP outputs (1.4). So: to drive my six displays, I would need to split one of the DP ports into three outputs and use the others directly 1-1.

My question is whether the card can support it even though the "Number of Displays Supported" is listed at 4 ..... does that mean four is the absolute limit or four unique outputs and one can be split?

Specs here
: https://www.pny.com/nvidia-quadro-p620

The max outputs per display is 5120 x 2800 - so it looks like enough to me to drive a few 1080p displays. Ie, whether using a 1-3 MST hub or 2 x 1-2 MST hubs I should be able to drive enough displays≥

TIA